The Skoll Center for Social Entrepreneurship (Saïd Business School) is offering scholarships for one year Oxford MBA Programme at University of Oxford. The Skoll Scholarship is a competitive scholarship for incoming MBA students who pursue entrepreneurial solutions for urgent social and environmental challenges. The Scholarship provides funding and exclusive opportunities to meet with world-renowned entrepreneurs, thought-leaders and investors. Once selected, these students are known as Skoll Skollars.
The Skoll Scholarship provides tuition for entrepreneurs who have set up or have been working in entrepreneurial ventures with a social purpose, and who wish to improve their knowledge of market-oriented practices so they can be more effective in their subsequent social change pursuits. It is given in recognition that the MBA may represent a significant financial burden, particularly for those who have chosen to work in social ventures rather than the commercial or public sectors.
The Skoll Centre offers five scholarships every year. The Scholarship is intended to provide college and course fees of £44,150. Additional funds are provided as a contribution towards living expenses.
Are you the next Skoll Scholar? To be eligible for the Skoll Scholarship, you must be accepted to the Oxford MBA programme, and meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must have started and grown a social venture that has been running for at least 12 months OR they have been responsible for leading a major expansion of an existing social venture or programme within that venture.
- Candidates must demonstrate evidence of personal qualities strongly resonating with social entrepreneurial leadership, and illustrate how these have influenced their career path thus far. These qualities include:
- Single-mindedness and persistence in pursuit of a social/environmental benefit goal, including a willingness to face failure and start again
- A bias towards action rather than reflection
- A tendency to explore the environment for opportunities and resources
- A willingness to take personal, and sometimes financial, risks
- A habit of developing a network and drawing upon its members to pursue mutual goals.
- Candidates must demonstrate how a business education can contribute to the wider development of the community within which they work.
- Candidates must demonstrate some evidence of their need for the Scholarship.
- All the candidates are required to take the GMAT test for entry to Oxford’s MBA programme. The GMAT score ranges from 630 to 720
- Candidates whose first language is not English or who have not studied at an English speaking University are required to take either the TOEFL or IELTS tests.
Please note: For this application year, candidates must apply in Stages 1 and 2 or Stages 3 and 4 of the Oxford MBA application rounds to be considered for the Scholarship. Details on the application timeline are below. There will be no more than five scholarships in any year, and these will be awarded on a rolling basis. However, candidates are urged to apply as early as possible.
Stage 1 & 2
- Deadline: 15 September 2014 (Stage 1) and 31 October 2014 (Stage 2)
Stage 3 & 4
- Deadline: 9 January 2015 (Stage 3) / 13 March 2015 (Stage 4)
For more information and to apply, visit Skoll Scholarship.