Call for Papers: International Conference In the Shadow of the Cold War
Deadline: March 31, 2015
Interested individuals are called to submit papers for the International Conference In the Shadow of the Cold War. The conference is organized by the Institute of National Remembrance – Commission for the Prosecution of Crimes against the Polish Nation and is scheduled to hold from 8th-9th October 2015 in Poland.
The 25th anniversary of the Autumn of Nations (1989) provides a great opportunity to analyze the phenomenon of international terrorism during the Cold War period. Why did countries ruled by the Communists cooperate with terrorist organizations? Were their secret ties based on ideological, geopolitical or economic grounds? What was the role of the USSR in such collaborations? Did the authorities in Moscow recommend contacts with terrorists, or was it left as an individual matter for every government? Was terrorism perceived as a useful tool to destabilize Western countries? The least known aspects are related to the extreme manifestations of social resistance to the Communist authorities, which could be interpreted as domestic terrorism. Organizers are particularly interested in a broader perspective and comparative studies. The floor will be especially given to researchers in Eastern European archives, and also abstracts that combine archival research with the analysis of such data.
- Conference participation is free.
- Selected presenters will have their accommodation, meals and travel expenses covered by the conference organizers.
- Participation is open to candidates interested in the topic.
- Download Application form.
- Please enclose, along with the proposal, an abstract of your paper of 500–700 words in English, and a copy of one published academic text (no less than 5000-6000 words with footnotes) or a link to it, if it is available online. The text can be in English, French, German, Polish, Slovak, or Czech.
Submissions should be sent to:
Instytut Pamięci Narodowej
Biuro Edukacji Publicznej
ul. Wołoska 7, 02-675 Warszawa
“Conference Domestic and International Terrorism in the Former Communist Countries”
For more information, visit International Conference In the Shadow of the Cold War.