Enter the Human Rights Essay Award 2015
Deadline: February 1, 2015
Interested individuals are invited to enter the Human Rights Essay Award 2015. This is an annual competition sponsored by the Academy on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law and seeks to stimulate the production of scholarly work in international human rights law.
This year’s topic is “Transitional Justice, International Human Rights and Humanitarian Law” and participants have the flexibility to choose any subject related to the assigned topic. The essay has to be a legal article.
- Articles must not exceed 35 pages in length, including footnotes. See how to make footnotes and citations.
- Essays must use Times New Roman font, 12-point double-spaced for the body of the essay and 10-point single-spaced for footnotes.
- All essays must be on letter size paper (8.5 x 11 inches/21.59 x 27.94 cm) with 1 inch (2.54 cm) margins all around.
- Character spacing must be set to normal.
- Authors should not put their name or any identifying information in their essays.
- Essays will only be accepted in Word format.
The Academy will grant 2 Awards, one for the best article in English and one for the best article in Spanish. The Award in each case will consist of:
- A full scholarship to the Program of Advanced Studies on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law for either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance options.
- Travel expenses to and from Washington D.C.
- Housing at the university dorms.
- Per diem for living expenses
The best articles may be published in the American University International Law Review.
- Candidates must hold a law degree and have demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law.
- Each participant must also include a curriculum vitae of no more than three pages in length explaining the experience or interest of the author in human rights issues. Please submit the CV as a separate file from your paper.
- Past Winners cannot submit essays in future competitions.
- To enter the competition, candidates must submit essays using the online submissions page.
Contact [email protected] for enquiries.
For more information, visit Enter the Human Rights Essay Award 2015.