Deadline: February 11, 2015
The World Bank invites applications for its 2015 Robert McNamara Fellowships. The Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program was established in 1982 to honor the former President of the World Bank, by contributions from the World Bank and the governments of Bangladesh, China, India, Kuwait, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, and former Yugoslavia.
Every year the Program provides grants to PhD candidates from developing countries to conduct innovative, development-related, PhD research under the supervision of a research advisor at a host institution abroad. Fellows must commit to return to their home country when their fellowship ends to complete their PhD and to work. If you are a Lecturer or researcher working in an academic or research institution in a developing country, you are particularly encouraged to apply.
Up to $25,000
- Your home country is a World Bank member developing country.
- You are not a dual citizen of a developed country.
- You are currently enrolled in a PhD program in a World Bank member country.
- You will have completed all coursework and exam requirements for your PhD at the time of application.
- You have a master’s degree.
- You are 35 years or younger as of February 11th, 2015.
- You meet one of the following conditions:
- You are enrolled in a PhD program in your home country, and not currently employed.
- You are enrolled in a PhD program in your home country or another World Bank member country and are working in an academic or research institution in your home country.
- You are accepted as a visiting scholar for a period of six to ten months by a university or research center in a World Bank member country other than your home country.
- Your research proposal is endorsed by your PhD thesis supervisor and your host institution.
- You can begin your fellowship between July and December 2015.
- You are able to complete your proposed fellowship research in 6 to 10 months.
- You commit to returning to your home country to complete your PhD and work after completion of your research.
- You are not an Executive Director, his/her alternate, staff, or consultant of the World Bank Group (the World Bank, International Finance Corporation, International Development Association, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes), and you do not have any relatives or in-laws who are employed by the World Bank Group in any capacity, including consulting.
NOTE: if you are a lecturer or researcher working in an academic or research institution in a developing country, you are particularly encouraged to apply.
For more information, visit Robert S. McNamara Fellowship Program.