Deadline: February 27, 2015
The May 18 Memorial Foundation has announced its annual “Call for nominations for the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights”. The May 18 Memorial Foundation was founded in 1994 with the aim of spreading and commemorating the democratic spirit shown by the people of Gwangju, Republic of Korea.
This Prize promotes the spirit of the May 18 Democratization Movement in which the people of Gwangju resisted against brutal military forces for the sake of Democracy and Human Rights in 1980. The prize goes to one individual or an organization that has struggled for or contributed to the improvement and advancement of human rights, democracy and peace in their community and country.
- The prize winner will receive the prize money of $50,000, medal and certificate at the Prize Ceremony to be held at the May 18 Memorial Culture Center on May 18, 2015.
- The prize winner of the special award will receive prize money of 10,000 USD, medal and certificate.
To be eligible, a person or group must
- Be nominated by another individual or organisation.
- Have been been struggling for justice and democracy for their community and country.
- Have contributed towards democracy and human rights movements through their work in their organization.
- Download the nomination form.
- Fill it out completely, and send it to the May 18 Memorial Foundation with supporting documents by email to: [email protected] or by post to:
The May 18 Memorial Foundation
Postcode 520-260 Naebangro 152 5.18 Memorial Culture Center Seo-gu Gwangju
Republic of Korea
For more information, visit Gwangju Prize for Human Rights.