World Trade Organization (WTO) Essay Award for Young Economists 2015 – Win CHF 5,000 and more
Deadline: June 1, 2015
The World Trade Organization (WTO) invites young economists to submit papers for the 2015 WTO Essay Award for Young Economists. The Award aims to promote high-quality research on trade policy and international trade co-operation among young economists and to reinforce the relationship between the WTO and the academic community.
- The annual WTO Essay Award consists of a prize of CHF 5,000 to the author(s) of the winning essay. In the case of a co-authored paper, the prize will be equally divided among the authors.
- The winning paper will be officially announced at the annual meeting of the European Trade Study Group (ETSG), which is the largest conference specializing in international trade. The award ceremony will take place in September 2015 in Paris.
- The winning author(s) will receive funding to attend the meeting in Paris.
The winning essay will be published in the WTO Working Paper Series. It is the responsibility of the author(s) to endeavour to secure publication of the contribution in a journal.
- The paper must address issues related to trade policy and international trade co-operation.
- The author(s) of the paper must possess or be engaged in the completion of a PhD degree and, if over 30 years of age, be no more than two years past a PhD defence. In the case of co-authored papers, this requirement shall apply to all authors.
- Essays cannot exceed 15,000 words.
An Academic Selection Panel is responsible for the selection of the winning paper. The panel comprises:
- Professor Avinash Dixit (Princeton University)
- Professor Robert Steiger (Dartmouth College)
- Professor Alberto Trejos (INCAE Business School)
The Economic Research and Statistics Division of the WTO Secretariat will shortlist eligible papers by 15 June 2015 and the Selection Panel will take a final decision by 15 July 2015. Only the author(s) of short-listed essays will be notified.
All submissions should be sent to email@example.com. Submissions should include as separate attachments in PDF format:
- the essay
- the CV of the author(s), specifying (i) current affiliation(s), (ii) the academic institution awarding the PhD, (iii) the year (or the expected year) of the PhD, (iv) the date of birth of the author(s).
For more information, visit WTO Essay Award for Young Economists.