Regional Summer School on Biodiversity
Deadline: July 4, 2015
Apply for the Regional Summer School on Biodiversity. Conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity at lakes Prespa, Ohrid and Shkodra/Skadar (CSBL) is a regional project implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ) on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). CSBL project will organize a Regional Summer School on Biodiversity (RSSB) and Ecosystem Services from September 11-14, 2015. The RSSB will be held at lake Shkodra/Skadar. The topic is Economic Valuation of Ecosystem Services offered by lakes, with lake Skadar serving as a case study. Students from Montenegro, Albania and Macedonia will be given the opportunity to work jointly on the subject under the supervision of senior university staff bringing expertise in the respected fields.
The expected outcome of the RSSB is an improved understanding of the economic importance of lake ecosystems and the ecological and other services they provide. The relationship between human economic activities and biodiversity will be studied through lectures on the concept of Local and Global Ecosystem Services and the way we make them accountable, field visits, class discussions and group assignments. Results and findings of the Economic Valuation of Lake Ecosystem Services project will be summarized and shared with experts and the general public in the form of presentations, fact sheets, interviews and documentary films.
GIZ will cover the travel expenses, accommodation and full board for all selected participants.
- Application is open to students that are currently following or finishing a Master Degree in Business Administration and Accounting, Economy, Environmental Biology, Ecology, Conservation Biology and Environmental Physiology.
- Applicants are expected to meet the following prerequisities:
- Active proficiency in English;
- Motivation for interdisciplinary work;
- Motivation for cooperation with international staff and students;
- Willingness for preliminary preparative work for the RSSB.
Please apply by email and send the following documents in PDF format to [email protected]
- Personal data sheet;
- Letter of intent (one page maximum).
For more information, visit Regional Summer School on Biodiversity in Montenegro.