Honjo International Scholarship for Foreign Students to Study in Japan 2016
Deadline: October 31, 2015
The Honjo International Scholarship Foundation is now accepting applications for Foreign Students to study in Japan. The Foundation provides scholarships to bright students who have the potential to become outstanding leaders to contribute to the peaceful development in the global community. It is mainly provided to foreign students who want to study in Japanese graduate schools on the purpose of earning doctoral degree.
- This scholarship is open to foreign students who will attend a graduate school at a Japanese university.
- The student does not possess Japanese citizenship.
- The student must be registered to attend or applying for a graduate school starting from April 1, 2016. 2
- To be eligible, students enrolled in a PhD Program must have been born after March 31, 1980. Those enrolled in a Master’s Program must have been born after March 31, 1985.
- The student must be able to assure the committee that he or she will be able to secure employment in their home country after graduating from a graduate school. This does not require him or her to have employment guaranteed or to return his or her home country immediately after graduating the university, but he or she is expected to have strong will of working in his or her home country in the future.
- The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and must be able to attend the events organized by the foundation and take part in the network as an alumni member.
- The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese
- The period of the scholarship is set in accordance with the shortest period of time required to complete the intended degree. The student, once awarded the scholarship will be able to choose the option (1), (2) or (3) as below.
- (1) ¥200,000 per month for1 or 2 years
- (2) ¥180,000 per month for 3 years
- (3) ¥150,000 per month for 4 or 5 years
- An extension will not be given on the pre-determined scholarship period nor would the student be allowed to change his or her courses after the scholarship period has commenced. Those whose enrollment period is shorter than one year are not eligible to apply.
- The student is not permitted to receive any other scholarship in conjunction with the scholarship offered by the .
- The student cannot gain employment other than part-time jobs related to his or her studies such as teaching assistants, research assistants, or related to international exchange affairs as translators or interpreters while receiving this scholarship
- You need to come for an individual interview almost every month; they would like you to participate to events that they will hold.
- Travel expenses for attending an international conference, etc. will be provided to scholarship students
- After you graduated, you will be required to attend their alumni events.
How to Apply
- Please complete the form, and get your application number. Awarded candidates’ application numbers are announced on our website on January 31, 2016 so be advised to save the number you got.
- Write down the application number on the application form and send the documents listed below to the Administration Office by post mail. To be sent by E-mail is not acceptable.
- Scholarship application form
- Your resume
- Personal information form
- Academic transcript
- Research plan
- One recommendation letter from a professor.
- A certificate of enrollment or a letter of admission.
- Please prepare those documents in Japanese OR English. If you have your documents in other languages, please attach either Japanese OR English translation.
- More information here.
For more information, visit Honjo International Scholarship Foundation.