2016 African Innovations Award
Deadline: November 30, 2015
The African Innovations Award seeks to promote uniqueness amongst African businesses and individuals to raise the bar by inspiring the next generation to be distinct and establish outstanding businesses that can compete internationally. The relevance of this award includes:
- Recognizing innovation across Africa in key sectors.
- Encouraging continental solutions & ideas from Africans themselves, hence fuelling AFRICAN INNOVATION.
- Building a strong African Innovation Eco-system.
- Increasing the relevance of research and development of various developmental issues on our continent.
This award is open to any African innovative thinkers between the ages of 18 – 40 in any of the listed entry categories below.
- Science and Technology
The winners will be determined based on their products’ uniqueness and their potential Contribution to the socio-economic development in Africa.Seven criterions to be considered:
- Originality: The uniqueness of the product and its superiority in comparison with similar or alternative products in the market;
- Marketability: The extent to which the innovation sufficiently addresses the problem it seeks to solve at a price or model that is accessible to the target market;
- Scalability: The extent to which the solution can be easily applied to other similar markets beyond the applicant’s immediate or local environment;
- Social impact:The ability of the innovation to positively affect, create or make desirable changes within the targeted communities and beyond;
- Scientific/Technical aspects: For tangible technical/scientific products; this refers to extent to which the technical specifications of the innovation are grounded on established science and sufficiently address any anticipated product risks.
- Gender and disability: How far various innovators went in properly integrating gender and disability perspectives to their projects. This has become a critical part of any futuristic innovation.
- Sustainable Development: Every innovator will also be assessed on how environmentally friendly their products or services are and how well the whole project supports the course of sustainable development.
How to Enter
Submit your nominations here.