Ashoka is offering a free online course on The Future of Work in Africa: Innovations in Youth Employment. This is a six week online professional development course which will cover both the obstacles and challenges of African Youth employment with a focus on innovative solutions and promising new initiatives. Each week participants will explore models, methodologies and the sectors critical to creating employment opportunities in Africa. In order to create a rich learning experience, the course will be comprised of a select group of program managers, policy makers, fellows and innovators chosen based on their background and work in the sector. Together the goal is to create new connections and generate new ideas for developing a future of work that can advance the social economic status of African communities.
The entirety of this course is delivered online with a total time commitment of 2-5 hours per week. It is designed to be highly interactive and social, but we also work hard to ensure that the majority of the content can be experienced in a self-paced manner. To enhance the interactive nature of the course, each week we will be featuring at least one real-time interaction, such as live discussions and live guest expert interviews along with discussion boards, readings, and videos.
Course Dates: October 26, 2015 – December 04, 2015
Facilitated by: Lynsey Farrell & Tsega Belachew
- Learn about the greatest opportunities for innovations in youth employment in Africa, and how to break silos and foster effective collaboration across sectors
- Create critical connections with others working on youth employment in Africa, including innovators, entrepreneurs, practitioners and policy makers.
- Interact with guest expert speakers who have cutting-edge approaches towards enabling youth success, funding the sector, or shaping major shifts in the field
- Increase knowledge about youth employment through discussion questions, group activities, and select readings.
- Be able to recognize strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for increased impact in your work on youth employment in Africa
The below themes and topic areas will be covered in the above listed course modules.
- Technology: How Tech Start-ups are Tackling Corruption, Global Warming, and More
- Agriculture: Building Wealth by Breaking the Rules of Traditional Farming
- Education: Classroom Without Walls, Learning and Earning in the Real World
- Health: How Young People are Driving Excellence in the Health Sector
- Impact Investment: Measuring Return on Investment & Designing for Scale of Impact
How to Apply
Apply online on TechChange. You will be prompted to register for an account before completing the application form.
For more information, visit The Future of Work in Africa.