MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program For Africans- University of Toronto, Canada
Deadline: December 10, 2015
Are you a student from Sub-Saharan Africa who has demonstrated academic talent and a personal commitment to giving back to your country, but you face significant economic barriers to higher education? The University of Toronto and The MasterCard Foundation are pleased to offer The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Toronto. This comprehensive scholarship provides talented yet financially disadvantaged students from Sub-Saharan Africa with access to relevant university education.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is open to students who are residents and citizens of a Sub-Saharan Africa country. You must be a first-time applicant to the University of Toronto who has not yet begun university study elsewhere. If you are a transfer student, you are not eligible for the program.
In order to be eligible, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a resident and a graduating high school student of a country within Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Demonstrate financial need correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of your country.
- Have very strong academic results within your school system.
- Have a record of leadership and extracurricular involvement.
- Maintain a strong desire to return to Africa to assist and work towards enhanced regional socioeconomic development.
- Be graduating from a recognized secondary school, or have completed the necessary academic requirements.
- Fulfill the necessary English requirements (dependent on country).
Please note that both academic and English requirements differ based on the country and educational system you are coming from.
- Selected candidates will receive a scholarship equivalent to the costs of attaining a Bachelor’s degree, including travel, tuition, textbooks, housing, food and living expenses.
- You will also receive financial, academic, social and post-graduation support which will enable you to gain the experiences and skills you need to succeed.
How to Apply
This scholarship opportunity is available for first-entry undergraduate programs in either the Faculty of Arts & Science or the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering at the St. George campus. Applications for the the 2016-2017 academic year are now open! To apply for the scholarship and for admission, you must submit an online application.
A completed application includes the following components:
- A completed online application – all applicable sections must be filled out, including contact information, financial information, personal details and responses to essay questions.
- Financial documents – upload a scanned copy of financial documentation.
- Transcript – upload a scanned copy of your secondary school transcript and any other academic information.
- Two references – provide the names and contact details of two individuals who will serve as your referees.