Deadline: February 15, 2016
The Word Press Institute (WPI) Fellowship is offered to 10 journalists from countries around the world. It provides immersion into the governance, politics, business, media, journalistic ethics and culture of the United States for experienced international journalists, through a demanding schedule of study, travel and interviews throughout the country. The program begins in mid-August and ends in mid-October 2016. Since 1961, WPI has brought almost 600 journalists from nearly 100 countries to the United States.
The fellows will spend three weeks in Minneapolis – St. Paul, Minnesota, and then travel to several U.S. cities, including New York and Washington, D.C., for briefings, interviews and visits. They will return to Minnesota for the final week of the program. Fellows are picked by the WPI selection committee, composed of journalists and corporate communications specialists, all with international experience. Candidates are not considered if their application package is late or incomplete.
- WPI covers all program costs, including transportation to the U.S. and back, all transportation within the U.S. related to the WPI program, and all lodging costs.
- In addition, a modest daily per diem for food is provided.
- Personal expenses, such as cameras, film, postage and clothing, are the responsibility of the fellows.
- Journalist (Print, Online, Broadcast), Photojournalists, Editorial cartoonists, columnists and broadcast producers are eligible.
- Candidate must be currently employed as a non U.S. journalist working outside of the United States;
- They should be fluent in both written and spoken English;
- He/She should possess potential for leadership.
During this online application process, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Applicant information;
- Employment history and education;
- Two essays are required as part of the online application. They are:
- A description of your professional goals and achievements (in 200-500 words)
- Why are you seeking a WPI Fellowship? What do you expect to gain? What do you expect to contribute? (200-500 words)
- Color photo of yourself;
- Work samples;
- Awards, fellowships;
- Three letters of recommendation.
Send all questions to [email protected].
For more information, see Terms of Fellowship or visit WPI Fellowship.