Apply: Scholarship to attend 21st International AIDS Conference 2016 – Durban, South Africa
Deadline: February 12, 2016
The International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2016) Scholarship Programme is now open. The 21st International AIDS Conference 2016 is scheduled to take place in Durban, South Africa from 18 to 22 July, 2016. The scholarship supports the attendance of individuals who intend to disseminate the information and skills acquired at AIDS 2016 to their organizations and communities and who otherwise would not have the opportunity to attend the conference.
About AIDS 2016
The International AIDS Conference is the largest conference on any global health or development issue. First convened during the peak of the AIDS epidemic in 1985, this conference continues to provide a unique forum for the intersection of science and advocacy, and an opportunity to strengthen policies and programmes to ensure an evidence-based response to the epidemic.
Every year the International AIDS Conference has a dedicated theme, this year is “Access Equity Rights Now”. It is a call to action to work together and reach the people who still lack access to comprehensive treatment, prevention, care and support services. AIDS 2016 is expected to convene over 18,000 delegates from around the world, including up to 1,000 journalists.
The conference organizers are committed to doubling the number of scholarships for AIDS 2016 to make the conference even more accessible to people from resource-limited settings, researchers, young people, community activists and civil society representatives.
Scholarship applicants will be able to request a full or partial scholarship.
A full scholarship may include:
- Registration fee for the conference (include access to all sessions and exhibitions);
- Travel (pre-paid airfare at the lowest fare available, from the nearest international airport);
- Accommodation (shared in a budget hotel or dorm for the days of the conference);
- Modest daily living allowance for the duration of the conference (18-22 July 2016).
A partial scholarship includes any combination of the above.
The Scholarship Programme is open to everyone around the world working or volunteering in the field of HIV and AIDS in any country. The programme provides financial assistance to help people who would otherwise be unable to attend to benefit from the conference.
- You must be at least 16 years of age at the time of the conference (that is, turn 16 on or before 18 July 2016) to apply for a scholarship.
- If you are under 18 years of age at the time of the conference, you will need to show proof of an accompanying adult on your application. Note that the accompanying adult will not receive a scholarship if your application is successful.
- Application forms must be completed in full. Incomplete applications cannot be considered for a scholarship.
- Application forms must be completed in English. The official language of the conference is English.
- People openly living with HIV and/or who belong to a community that is disproportionately affected by HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.
A Scholarship Review Committee will contribute to the reviewing and scoring of the applications.
Priority will be given to
- those whose participation will help enhance their work in their own communities
- those who are able to assist in the transfer of skills and knowledge acquired at the conference
- those whose abstract, workshop or programme activity submission has been selected.
Scholarship selection will be based on a non-biased scoring system. Only a limited quantity of scholarships available. Applicants are therefore strongly encouraged to seek other funding as well.
- Once connected to your conference profile, click on the scholarships banner and select one of the two following options: scholarship application or media scholarship application. Carefully read the requirements and fill in the form.
- For extra support, please consult the preview scholarship application form before starting your application. These documents include the questions you will be asked and the documents you will be required to attach to your application.
- All applicants must submit a letter of recommendation from a manager, colleague or peer through the upload function BEFORE the deadline of 12 February 2016, 23:59 CET. If this document is not submitted, your application will not be considered.
For more information, visit International AIDS Conference Scholarship.