Deadline: April 25, 2016
Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation invites entries for 2016 Science Without Border Challenge. Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation, founded by His Royal Highness Prince Khaled bin Sultan of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, is a US based, non-profit foundation dedicated to conserving and restoring oceans through applied science, education and outreach, and working with local partners and governments to promote coral reef conservation.
Science without Borders Challenge is a yearly art competition that engages students to promote the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources. This yearly contest inspires students to be creative while using different types of media to promote public awareness of important ocean conservation issues.
The theme for the 2016 Science without Borders® Challenge is “Fishing Under the Radar.” This theme was chosen to coincide with a new film the Foundation is producing about fishing.
- This international art competition is open to all students 11-19 years old.
- Students must be enrolled in primary or secondary school. College and university students are not eligible for this contest.
- Work will be judged in two categories, with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes awarded for each:
• 11 – 14 year-olds
• 15 – 19 year-olds
Winners of the Science Without Borders® Challenge will be publicly announced. Prizes awarded to contestant winners are as follows:
- 1st Place: $500 scholarship
- 2nd Place: $350 scholarship
- 3rd Place: $200 scholarship.
- All artwork must be an original work by the contestant and shall not infringe on any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties.
- The artwork must be 2D with a minimum size of 11’’ x 14’’ (28 cm x 36 cm) and a maximum size of 20” x 30” (51 cm x 76 cm). Acceptable media includes paint, pencil, marker, crayon, ink, and chalk.
- All submissions must be made by an individual artist. Group submissions are not permitted.
- Participants may submit only 1 art piece.
- Write your name in pencil on the back of your artwork.
- Fill out all required information on the entry form.
- Photographs of artists and artwork may be used in local publications and distributed to the media.
- The Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation reserves the right to disqualify artwork deemed as offensive.
- If the explanation of artwork is plagiarized, then it will be disqualified.
- Entries that do not comply with all of the contest rules will be disqualifie
How to Enter
Contestants must submit an entry form with their submission. All fields on the entry form must be filled out in order to be considered for awards. All original artwork should be mailed to:
Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation
Science Without Borders® Challenge
130 Severn Avenue,
Suite 100 Annapolis, MD 21403
The deadline is Monday, April 25, 2016 by 5 pm (Eastern Standard Time). All artwork must be received by this date
For more information, visit Living Oceans Foundation.