Hourglass Literary Magazine’s International Writing Contest 2016 – $5,000+ in prizes
Deadline: May 31, 2016
Hourglass Literary Magazine is now accepting entries for its maiden International Writing Competition. The magazine’s annual contest calls for participation by authors writing in English and in the BCMS languages.
The contest is international in format, and there are no geographical restrictions so long as the submissions are in one of the languages specified. Hourglass Literary Magazine is an annual and bilingual magazine which is being published in print and digital form in English as well as the languages of the region (BCMS).
With the cooperation, support and patronage of Krajina klass, BLC (Banjaluka College) and software company Literature and Latte, Hourglass Literary Magazine for:
- Best Short Story
- Best Essay
- Best Poem
Winners will be officially awarded in Banja Luka, Bosnia and Hercegovina (September 1, 2016). The event winners and finalists will be informed via e-mail/phone. If an author cannot attend the awards ceremony, sponsors of the contest will provide the video conference; funds will be paid via PayPal or bank transfer.
- The winning entry in each category (short story, essay and poem) will receive US$1000 as prize money, apart from a symbolic artifact (clepsydra), digital stamp and diploma.
- Winning entries will be published in the first issue of the Hourglass Literary Magazine, in the original language (English / BCMS languages) and translated (BCMS/English).
- Authors will also receive three printed copies of the first issue of the Hourglass Literary Magazine.
- The jury, comprising highly respected authors Sibelan Forrester, Jelena Lengold and John K. Cox has the right to give a special prize (US$ 500 for entry in each category).
- Ten Finalists in each category will be published in the first issue of the literary magazine.
- All published works will be financially compensated and finalists will be provided with one copy of the printed edition of the Hourglass Literary Magazine .
- Special prize of the Literature and Latte – Scrivener Award – consisting of the three licensed software solutions “Scrivener”.
About Scrivener: Scrivener is a powerful content-generation tool for writers that allows you to concentrate on composing and structuring long and difficult documents. While it gives you complete control of the formatting, its focus is on helping you get to the end of that awkward first draft.
- The competition is international and is open to all authors writing in English or any of the BCMS languages (comprising Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, Montenegrin.)
- Authors who write in BCMS may submit their entries in Latin or Cyrillic script.
- There are no theme, or genre limitations and boundaries.
- Work must be original and unpublished.
- One author can compete in all categories, for all three awards respectively.
Multiple submissions are allowed (as well as simultaneous submissions).
- Works can be sent in .doc, .docx, .rtf, .odt and .pdf format, with font size not exceeding 12 points.
The contest is international in format, and there are no geographical restrictions so long as the submissions are in one of the languages specified.
How to Submit
Submissions are accepted online via Submittable
For more information, visit Hourglass Literary Magazine.