Embassy of Haiti’s Future Leaders Fellowship 2016 – Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Deadline: March 15, 2016
The Embassy of Haiti in Washington, D.C. is now accepting applications for the 2016 Haiti’s Future Leaders Fellowship. The fellowship was launched in 2014, and targets graduate students and young professionals of Haitian descent in the United States on the one hand, and university students in Haiti on the other. The program is an eight-week assignment in Port-au-Prince, from June to August 2016, at key Government institutions.
For the 2016 class, the Embassy will select up to five individuals, each with a demonstrated commitment to the development of Haiti. Fellows will be given the opportunity to work with government officials and gain experience in public administration and policy making, while applying their qualifications to the benefit of Haiti.
The fellowships are unpaid.
The program will cover travel costs to Haiti, lodging, and transportation to and from the assigned work place. However, all costs associated with personal expenses are the sole responsibility of the fellows. The estimated cost for participation in this fellowship is approximately $4,500 USD. Please note that costs may vary significantly based on personal preferences.
- Candidates should have a minimum of bachelor’s degree, with a preference to candidates already possessing a graduate degree.
- Candidates from all disciplines are encouraged to apply, particularly applicants with knowledge and experience in law, political science, statistics, economics, public administration, business and international development.
- Open to graduate students and young professionals of Haitian descent in the United States
- Also open to university students in Haiti
Selection criteria for the fellowship program include:
- Proof of academic standing (bachelor’s and/or master’s degree transcript).
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Written and/or verbal proficiency in French and/or Creole preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal abilities, including problem solving, working independently and in groups.
- Outstanding research and analytical skills.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and basic administrative capabilities.
- Demonstrated maturity to work in high-pressure situations with good humor, grace and a positive attitude.
- Capacity to adapt to new environments.
Interested candidates should send their application via email to the Embassy of Haiti at [email protected] NO LATER THAN March 1, 2016 and include “Haiti’s Fellowship” in the subject line.
Application packages must include:
- Letter of interest (1 page)
- Professional resume
- Academic transcript
- An original writing sample on the below listed topic.
- Three current letters of recommendation outlining why you should be selected in the program. Specifically, one professional, one academic, and one character reference from a non-relative.
For more information, visit Haiti Future Leaders Fellowship.