Deadline: April 6, 2016
Do you have a business idea that will create jobs and improve lives in your region? BMCE Bank of Africa invites applications for the 2nd edition of African Entrepreneurship Award.
- Benefit from personalized, online mentoring over the next few months by people in your region, across Africa and around the globe
- Learn by reading relevant advice proven to help African entrepreneurs,
- Join a new network that can lead to new customers and investors, and
- Have an opportunity to share in the $1M Award.
Your business proposals will be reviewed in one of our three categories:
- Education: Education is essential to equip Africans in the 21st century. As 11 million young Africans enter the job market every year, this award seeks business ideas that will impact education with the potential to scale across Africa.
- Environment: The Environment is critical to ensure Africa works together in all sectors to promote innovations that will protect the livelihood of current and future generations. As 11.3 million hectares of land are ravaged every year by poor agricultural systems, over-grazing, and deforestation; this award seeks business ideas that will impact the environment with the potential to scale across Africa.
- Uncharted: means unexplored, not yet attempted. What is so difficult to do in your community that no one has tried before? Like explorers and inventors throughout history, what will propel Africa into a stronger position in the 21st century?this award seeks business ideas that boldly go where no one has gone before in Africa.
You, the entrepreneur, must meet the following criteria as you submit your business proposal:
- You must be a citizen of an African country
- You must be a minimum of 18 years old as of October 1, 2016
- Your business must be applicable in an African country
- Your business proposal must include a technological component (digital, machinery, computers, ICT, automated processes, field related technologies, etc.)
- Your business must be for profit.
- Your business must be relevant to one of these categories:
- Education – positively impact education in Africa
- Environment – positively impact the environment in Africa
- Uncharted – a high-impact business venturing into unexplored territory or untested markets
- You can submit a proposal as a resident of any country worldwide – keeping in mind that you must be a citizen of an African country
- For example, a resident of the United Arab Emirates with Egyptian citizenship is eligible for this Award
- Your business can operate in any African country even if you are not a citizen of that country
- For example, you can submit a proposal for a different country in Africa than your personal, African citizenship (e.g. a Ghanaian citizen can submit a proposal for a business in Liberia)
- You can submit a proposal for a business already in operation
- Your business can operate across borders in multiple African countries
- Your business should demonstrate the potential to scale beyond one region in Africa to pan-African impact
- You can operate in multiple countries, but you will be asked to designate a primary community in Africa that will benefit or be impacted by your business.
How to Apply
Register here. You can submit your business idea anytime through April 6, 2016. Soon after you submit a completed proposal, a mentor will be in touch with you, guiding you to bettering your idea. And yes, if you have a better idea, you can resubmit it at least once before April 6, 2016
For more information, visit the African Entrepreneurship Award.