Deadline: June 15, 2016
Entries are welcomed for the 2016 UNESCO/Goi Peace Foundation International Essay Contest. The theme for this year’s contest is “Education to Build a Better Future for All.” This program is an activity of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$880 as of February 2016);
- 1st prize winner will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for November 2016 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
- 2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$440 as of February 2016);
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift;
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift.
- Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2016) in one of the following age categories:
- Children (ages up to 14);
- Youth (ages 15 – 25)
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title.
- Essays may be typed or printed;
- Essays must have a cover page indicating:
- Category (Children or Youth)
- Essay title
- Your name
- Phone number
- Age as of June 15, 2016
- School name (if applicable)
- Word count.
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
- Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
* Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
- Entries may be submitted online or by postal mail to:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
- Please note that the organizer is unable to confirm receipt of essays or answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
For more information, visit International Essay Contest.