UNCTAD Youth Forum 2016 – Nairobi, Kenya (Funding Available)
Deadline: April 20, 2016
Applications are now accepted for the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Youth Forum taking place from 19 to 21 July 2016 at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre in Nairobi, Kenya. The UNCTAD Youth Forum will serve as a discussion platform to hear the views and ideas of youth on education, more and better jobs and government accountability; topics that are of great concern to the Millennials’ generation. It will be a great opportunity for youth to share their views with global leaders.
If you are a student or a young professional between the age of 18 to 30, you are interested in trade and development issues, want to debate with other millennials from all continents to contribute to shaping the future you want – which is the theme of UNCTAD Youth Forum, then apply now.
UNCTAD will invite its member States, and the private sector, to provide a contribution for the travel, accommodation and organizational costs related to the Youth Forum. As funds are made available by donors and sponsors, successful applicants will receive confirmation of the funding opportunities available.
Applicants are also invited to look for their own sources of funding to attend the Forum (please note that self-funding will not form part of the selection criteria; all applications will be considered on the same basis).
Participants in the Forum will be pre-selected based on the following criteria:
- Be between the age of 18 and 30
- Able to speak in and understand English
- Have a valid passport (for applicants outside of Kenya)
- Have experience (from their studies or work) in the areas of work of UNCTAD. Evidence of projects related to trade and development (academic and professional) will be considered as experience in the field; participants will be invited to describe their experience in their video and/or letter of motivation (please see the application process section below)
The Youth Forum is designed for a maximum attendance of 250 participants from all continents. The selection criteria will be based on
- Principles of equitable geographical representation
- Balanced gender distribution
- Diversity of backgrounds (e.g. age, areas of studies and additional experience)
- Quality of the material attached to the application, explaining the contribution of the participant to the Forum (e.g. originality in the video and letter of motivation).
A Committee from UNCTAD will select Youth Forum participants. If you are not selected to come to Nairobi, you can still participate in the preparatory process of discussions and follow the event in Nairobi via social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
Full time attendance at the Forum by the chosen participant is mandatory. Participants should be committed to invest time to prepare for and actively participate in the Youth Forum.
The application process consists of two steps:
- Step 1 – Click on the application link and fill in the online form.
- Step 2 – Provide a letter of recommendation from a high-level official or authority at a University or Organization. The letter must be sent to the email address [email protected] and clearly mention your name.
Youth from around the world can also contribute with ideas and comments through videos, blogs, and posts on Twitter using #UNCTAD14 and #UNCTADYouth.
For more information, visit UNCTAD Youth Forum.