2016 Blue Award Student Competition – Vienna
Deadline: May 10, 2016
The Blue Award 2016 aims at creating an international network of architecture schools and faculties as well as faculties for civil engineering that have included the topic of sustainability in their teachings. The competition selectively recognizes and awards prizes to design projects (on paper or realized) that deal with the topic of sustainability in architecture, urbanism and regional planning as well as in civil engineering and which have been elaborated as part of an academic design program. A special focus is placed on students’ projects that have been developed in cooperation between the disciplines of architecture and civil engineering.
The “Blue Award 2016” competition is organized by the Vienna University of Technology, the Institute of Architecture and Design, the Department for Spatial and Sustainable Design and the registered Society of Architecture and Spatial Design. The prize is overseen by the UIA (International Union of Architects)
The prize sum of 10,000 Euros will be divided by the jury among the three categories of the competition.
- Category 1: Urban Development and Transformation, Landscape Development;
- Category 2: Ecological Building and Building in Existing Structures;
- Category 3: Innovative Systems and Detailed Solution.
- The jury may decide upon a number of honorable mentions.
In addition, independent of the categories, a special award will be handed out for the field of timber engineering or for the use of wood. A project will be chosen by the jury for its unique constructive, technical or design solution, specifically through the use of the material wood, in terms of sustainability.
- Open to university students of Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree programs, as well as students working on a diploma thesis or dissertation, in the academic fields of architecture, urbanism or regional planning as well as civil engineering, with proof of enrollment in one of the following semesters: Summer Semester 2014, Winter Semester 2014/15, Summer Semester 2015 and Winter Semester 2015/16 and Summer Semester 2016.
- The submitted project must be part of a supervised coursework, having taken place during one of the above-mentioned semesters.
- Projects completed by a group may also be submitted. Every member of the group must fulfill the terms of eligibility, including proof of enrolment.
- Professors and assistant professors are not eligible.
- In the identification form, the professor or academic supervisor confirms the coursework by the participant and the supervisor of the project.
Apply by completing the following forms:
For more information, visit Sustainable Architecture Student Competition.