PCNAF Young Women’s Scholarship Program 2016
Deadline: April 29, 2016
The PCNAF Young Women’s Scholarship Program is for female Nigerian undergraduate college students in the metropolitan Washington, DC area. It was created in an effort to help ease the financial burden of students with outstanding academic and leadership potential who are facing difficulties finding the money to stay in school because they have an international student visa. These students are not allowed to seek outside employment to finance their education. The program provides financial support to young women entering their junior or senior year at a participating college or university.
Upon receiving their scholarships, the scholars will be expected to actively support the mission of Peace Corps Nigeria Alumni Foundation (PCNAF) for at least one year. Activities will include:
- Participating in a leadership development mentoring program.
- Speaking to students at local schools about the basic education crisis in Nigeria (especially for girls) and the need for educational reform.
- PCNAF will award two $2000 scholarships to promising female college students
- Any female college student of Nigerian heritage is eligible to apply for a PCNAF Scholarship if she:
- Has an international student visa (F1),
- Is enrolled as a full time student at a participating institution,
- Will begin her junior or senior year at the university in the fall of 2016, or will complete community college and enter a participating university as a full time student in the fall of 2016,
- Has an overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale,
- Has a documented need for financial assistance.
- Students attending the following institutions can apply:
- University of the District of Columbia
- Prince Georges Community College
- Baltimore City Community College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Morgan State University
- Coppin State University
- Bowie State University
- Montgomery College
- University of Maryland
- University of Maryland Baltimore County
- Towson University
- College of Southern Maryland
- George Mason University
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Complete the application form.
- Application packages must include:
- A completed scholarship application,
- An official academic transcript (most recent),
- The Financial Aid Worksheet,
- Copy of the international student visa,
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member,
- A letter of recommendation from someone outside the educational institution, and
- Responses (150-200 words) to each of the three essay questions.
- File a request for an official transcript with your registrar’s office. The transcript should be returned directly to you and mailed to the Peace Corps Nigeria Alumni Foundation along with your application package.
- Complete Part I of the Financial Aid Worksheet. Your financial aid office must complete Part II of the form and return it directly to you.
- Complete Sections A and B of this form. All responses (except signatures) must be typed or printed.
- Make copies of the pages from your passport documenting your international student status.
- Your application package must contain a signed letter of recommendation from a faculty member and someone outside of the educational institution who knows you well in a personal and/or professional capacity. Professional recommendations from outside the educational institution must be written on business stationery.
- Before mailing your application package, make sure that you have included all required documents. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Once you have gathered the required documents, mail the completed package to:
Mr. Albert Hannans
Peace Corps Nigeria Alumni Foundation
c/o 10462 Kelso Court
Waldorf, MD 20603
For more information, visit PCNAF Scholarship Program.