Deadline: May 2, 2016
Sip, sup and siesta like a Spaniard for 7 days on the ultimate food adventure! World Nomads is looking for 3 culinary explorers to embark on food-fuelled assignments to uncover the local recipes, techniques and attitudes that make Spain a seriously celebrated food destination.
This is your opportunity to go on an all-expenses-paid trip to learn from the producers, chefs and home cooks that are so passionately dedicated to Spanish cuisine. You could be scoffing churros and preparing patatas bravas in Madrid, cooking fideuàs and indulging in crema Catalana in Catalunya or perfecting a tortilla Espanola and gulping gazpacho in Andalucia – all right alongside the locals. Each food explorer will keep a daily blog on World Nomads documenting their culinary experiences in Spain featuring stories, photos and recipes from the road. While on assignment, all of the winners’ experiences will be filmed by an accompanying cameraman.
- A 7-day all-expenses-paid trip to Spain courtesy of Turespana, Culture Xplorers, and the regional tourism boards of Andalucia, Madrid and Catalunya;
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Spain;
- Mentorship from local Spanish chefs, cooks and artisan providores;
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.
Anyone can apply – this is open to food writers, bloggers, aspiring chefs, and just plain passionate eaters with a story to share! Below are the details if this sounds like you – Get writing!
- Minimum age of 18 (by application deadline).
- You must hold a current, valid passport (with 6 months left before expiry).
- The scholarship is open to all nationalities (subject to obtaining a Spanish visa), however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written and spoken English.
- You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment.
- You should be a mad-keen foodie with adventurous taste buds, a curiosity for all things culinary and an openness to interact with locals.
- You must be up for eating anything at anytime, pitching in with the cooking and cleaning up! Picky eaters need not apply.
- You must be very comfortable in front of the camera, and sharing your emotions and opinions with the world.
To apply you need to cook, snap and share with your most memorable food recipe.
- Submit a recipe (in English) with accompanying photos. This can’t just be any recipe, this recipe needs to come with a story. It could be the clafoutis that you learned to make from your French flatmate or maybe the empanadas you learned to make on your backpacking trip around South America;
- Tell in 2000 characters or less (this includes spaces) the story behind the recipe and what makes it so special to you;
- Complete a 1500 character max essay telling why you should be chosen and what the opportunity would mean to you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.
- The entry must be submitted in English.
- One entry per person.
For more information, visit Food Travel Adventure.