Deadline: September 30, 2016*
Application for the 2017/18 DAAD Scholarships are open! With its development-oriented postgraduate study programmes, the DAAD promotes the training of specialists from development and newly industrialised countries. Well-trained local experts, who are networked with international partners, play an important part in the sustainable development of their countries.
The scholarships offer foreign graduates from development and newly industrialised countries from all disciplines and with at least two years’ professional experience the chance to take a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognised German university, and in exceptional cases to take a doctoral degree, and to obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
Postgraduate Courses Categories
- Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics
- Development Co-operation
- Engineering and Related Sciences
- Regional Planning
- Agriculture and Forest Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Medicine and Public Health
- Veterinary Medicine
- Social Sciences and Education
- Media Studies
Full list of sub-programs within each category
- This is open to graduates with at least two years’ professional experience
- Candidates must have a Bachelor degree (usually a four-year course) in an appropriate subject
- priority target candidates have proven, development-related motivation and can be expected to make full use of their scholarship and education by taking on social responsibility later in their careers, acting as agents of change who stimulate and support development in their personal and professional surroundings (motivation, commitment to development),
- the candidates have the professional and academic qualifications necessary to ensure successful completion of the degree programme in Germany (final scores on previous academic examinations, language skills),
- women and candidates from disadvantaged groups who meet the required academic and professional standards and show proven commitment to development-related issues are especially targeted for programme admission.
- DAAD provides 12 to 36 months (dependent on study programme).
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of 750 euros for graduates or 1,000 euros for doctoral candidates.
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover.
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding.
*Deadlines may vary with each university. See full list of application deadlines for each university and program.
How to Apply
Required documents (in the following order):
- DAAD application form
- hand-signed CV (please use the europass specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/)
- hand-signed letter of motivation (with reference to current occupation)
- research exposé (if required by university)
- academic letter/s of recommendation from your university; the letter must have a signature and office stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
- professional letter/s of recommendation from your employer; the letter must have a signature and office stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
- confirmation of employment from the employer in your home country and if possible, a guarantee of re-employment upon your return home
- Proof of language abilities
- English – IELTS or TOEFL (Note: Institutional TOEFL will not be accepted)
- German – necessary for the courses taught in German; for the courses taught in English, if available
- copies of awarded academic degrees
- copies of academic transcripts
- copy of School Leaving Certificate
Note: Some courses may require additional documents. For detailed information, please see the relevant course description on the following pages. All documents must be submitted as identical duplicates. Depending on chosen study programme; please check scholarship brochure or the website of your chosen study programme. Exception: Cameroon through the German embassy (application deadline at the embassy: 31st July every year)
Application address: Apply directly to the chosen study programme
For more information, visit DAAD Postgraduate Scholarships