Deadline: July 31, 2016
Applications are invited for the 2017 Helmut-Schmidt Programme which offers funded master’s scholarship for Public Policy and Good Governance (PPGG)at selected universities in Germany. This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of Good Governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life.
The programme offers very good graduates with a first university degree the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of Good Governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
The following Master courses are available:
- Hertie School of Governance, Berlin: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- University Duisburg-Essen: Master of Development and Governance
- Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- Leuphania University Lüneburg: Public Economics, Law and Politics (PELP)
- Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Nonprofit Organizations
- University of Osnabrück: M.A. Democratic Governance and Civil Society
- University Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
- University Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
- This is open to very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) who in the future want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries.
- The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals. T
- The scholarship scheme is open to candidates from Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia as well as from countries in the Middle East (see list of countries).
Scholarship Support /Benefits
- The scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at German institutions of higher education listed above. The study programmes will start in September/October 2017.
- The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English. Prior to their study programmes all scholarship holders will receive a 6-months- German language course from April 2017 to September 2017. The language courses take place at selected institutes in Germany and not at the universities of the selected study programme. The language course is compulsory also for those who will attend a Master course taught in English.
- The scholarship holders will be offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD.
- Furthermore, there is the possibility to attend networking events. DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 750 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany.
- In addition, DAAD grants an appropriate travel allowance and a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or 2 allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable. DAADscholarship holders are exempt from tuition fees.
How to Apply
Please submit your application for the Master courses and for the DAAD scholarship solely to the Master courses you have selected at the respective university. Please check the deadlines on the homepages of the elected Master courses.
Application packet includes
- Application Form
- Motivation Letter containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic / professional and personal reasons for wishing to participate in the programme
- Full Curriculum Vitae (CV) including information about precise field of study and, if applicable, description of job experience
- Copies of all certificates
- Recent language Certificates
- Two letters of recommendation by university professors and/or current or former employer
You are allowed to submit your application for up to two Master courses listed. Please fill in the DAAD appliction form only once indicating the study courses in their order of priority. Please send this same application form and the necessary documents listed, to all three universities of your choice.