Call for Proposals- STEM Prize 2016 For Young Africans
Deadline: July 31, 2016
Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation invites project entries for the 2016 STEM Prize for young Africans.
The STEM Prize was established to encourage young Cameroonians and Africans, especially girls and young women to pursue careers in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. This competition brings together young scholars from both secondary and tertiary schools (between the ages of 13 and 21 years old) to design projects that have the greatest potential of positively changing their communities.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
To be eligible for The STEM Prize Competition,applicants must
- be between the ages of 13 and 21 years old
- be citizens of CEMAC countries (Cameroon, Chad, Central Africa Republic, Congo, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea). An application must be made by a team or group of at least 3 people or at most 5 people.
The winning projects are determined on the basis of its potential contribution to the socioeconomic growth of a specific community, communities or Africa as a whole. The specific selection criteria include: –
- Relevance and Novelty: Innovative with demonstrable creativity and originality of the project
- Scalability: Scale and scope of the project and the likelihood of implementing the project in areas with similar problems
- Social impact: The socio-economic impacts of the project especially how it addresses challenges faced by the specific community or country as a whole.
A total of 5,000,000 FCFA (approximately $10,000 USD) will be awarded in prizes and will be distributed as follows:
- Winning team: 1,500,000 FCFA ($3000 USD)
- 1st Runner Up: 1,000,000 FCFA ($2000 USD)
- 2nd Runner Up: 500,000 FCFA ($1000 USD)
- Other individual prizes: 2,000,000 FCFA ($4000 USD)
The foundation will work with all winning teams to get their projects up and running.
How to Apply
All applications will be made on the foundation’s official website: www.foretiafoundation.org . Simply visit The STEM Prize page and click “Apply Now”, follow the instructions, fill in all the required information and then submit
Project proposals will follow the outline below:
- Names and Community(ies) of applicants
- Title of project
- Identification and elaboration of community problem
- Proposed solution and illicit method of solving problem based on recommendations
- Budget Planning
- Partners and timeframe of project realisation
- Evaluation of project.
For questions and/or concerns please see FAQs.
For more information, visit STEM Prize-Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation