MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program- University of Pretoria
Deadline: September 15, 2016
Mastercard Foundation are offering funded scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate studies at University of Pretoria.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically qualified, yet economically disadvantaged young people in South Africa, SADC and the rest of Africa, who will contribute to the transformation of the continent. Community service is a necessary component of the Program with all students giving back to disadvantaged communities.
The identified scholars need to demonstrate a commitment to making a difference in their communities, having faced significant barriers to accessing and completing quality tertiary education. The Program provides a comprehensive scholarship, mentoring and counseling, academic support and access to work readiness skills.
University of Pretoria
UP is one of the largest and most diverse university in Southern Africa. Currently UP has more than 50 000 students and has become one of the leading higher education institutions on the continent and indeed, in the world
The University has nine faculties, including the Faculty of Veterinary Science on the Onderstepoort Campus, which is the only one of its kind in South Africa.
- Candidates should be citizens from Sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Candidates need to be first time applicants as first year students in the degree programme.
If your MCFSP application is successful the Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in a UP residence
- Books and printed material
- A modest monthly stipend
- Medical aid (Ingwe only)
- Travel costs (one return trip for the duration of the study period)
- Cost of one visa application for the duration of the study period.
How to Apply
Application for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program can only be submitted after a candidate has been provisionally admitted to study at the University of Pretoria. Provisionally an admission letter will be required.
- Download the hard copy of the undergraduate or postgraduate application form.
- Submit your MCFSP application from to [email protected] for undergraduates and [email protected] for postgraduates together with ALL supporting documents as stated on the first page of the application form.
Applying to University of Pretoria
Applications to study at UP opens on 1st March and closes on the 30th August of the year proceeding the year of study.Students who are interested in studies at the University of Pretoria and wish to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program must follow the application process.
- Apply online at www.up.ac.za/apply. Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form. For more information, dial +27 (0)12 420 4297/6621 or send an email to[email protected] for undergraduates and [email protected] for postgraduates enquiries.
- After your application has been submitted, it will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty. The faculty will inform you whether you have been admitted.
- Once you have been admitted, please contact [email protected] to commence the process to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program immediately.
- Successful MasterCard Foundation Scholars should have a passport to enable them to apply for a visa promptly.
Please visit the ISD website at www.up.ac.za/isd for general information for international students.
For more information visit MasterCard Foundation Scholars- UP