Deadline: August 31, 2016
Applications are being accepted for the Matsumae International Foundation Fellowship Program 2017. Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
Fellowships are provided for successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances is any part of the fellowships transferable to any other persons or other items.
- Stipend for research and stay: ¥220,000 yen is provided monthly for the purpose of payment of tuition, expenses for research materials, lodging, meals, transportation, etc.
- Insurance: Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, and (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Air transportation: An economy-class round-trip air ticket between the international airport nearest to successful applicant’s home residence and Tokyo via most direct routing is provided. The provided air ticket cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash be provided by MIF for purchase of an air ticket by any individual or organization other than MIF.
- Lump sum on arrival: ¥120,000 yen is provided to assist with local travel expenses on arrival, the initial cost of lodging, etc.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit
the required application documents.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications;
- Applicants must be 49 years old or under;
- Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan;
- Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present;
- Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by MIF;
- Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan
- Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from MIF. To obtain the announcement, write to MIF with name and address by postal mail, or by E-mail. Or, download the announcement from the webpage of MIF and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file.
- MIF cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not respond to such requests.
- Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. Under no circumstances will an application be accepted from a person already in Japan.
- MIF never receives applications by Fax or E-Mail.
- All of the following documents – A4 in size – should be submitted on one occasion by the applicant to MIF:
- Application Form
- The Research Project
- Complete List of Publications
- A reprint of what the applicant considers to be his/her most important publication
- Personal History (Curriculum Vitae)
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s employer and/or supervisor (e.g. Faculty Dean) testifying to academic ability and achievements, and confirming the availability of study leave covering the grant period
- A certified copy of the applucant’s academic certificates (degrees of PhD, Master, Bachelor) issued by the university concerned (these documents should be in English. If the certificate(s) is unavailable in English, please attach the translation in English)
- An invitation letter with signature by the scientist of host institution confirming the period of stay, the research project, the availability of research facilities/materials, and the arrangement of lodging accommodation, under MIF Fellowship Program)
- All documents must be type-written in English. Documents written in any language other than English are not accepted.
- Submitted applications which do not contain all of the required documents will be automatically rejected.
- MIF will not be responsible for costs incurred in submitting an application, and reserves the right to request additional documents if necessary.
- All documents received become the property of MIF, and will not be returned.
- MIF will not respond to individual inquiry concerning the status/arrival of application documents.