Reason Foundation Bastiat Prize for Journalism 2016 ($16,000 in Prizes)
Deadline: July 31, 2016
The Reason Foundation Bastiat Prize for Journalism is given to writers around the globe who educate readers by employing simple, eloquent and witty explanations of complex economic ideas, combined with a clear understanding of markets and their underlying institutions.
Entries are judged on their originality, wit and elegance, and pertinence to current events. The Fifteenth Annual Bastiat Prize will be announced and presented as part of the Reason Media Awards Dinner on November 16, 2016, at the Edison Ballroom in New York City.
- The winner will receive $10,000, Second Place will receive $5,000 and Third Place will receive $1,000.
- Open to all writers, anywhere in the world; writers need not be full time journalists or associated with any specific publication;
- Entrants must submit their entries through the online entry form on Reason’s website;
- All articles entered for the BPJ must have been published in print or online (or both);
- Articles may comprise or include the transcript of a radio or television broadcast if that transcript has been published in print or online;
- In the case of a question about the legitimacy of an article, the author will be consulted and a final decision will be made by Reason Foundation;
- The following individuals and their immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children), significant others, and household members are not eligible to enter the Bastiat Prize for Journalism: First Prize winners of the Bastiat Prize of Journalism from the past three years; Directors, staff, and regular columnists of Reason Foundation; current Judges of the Bastiat Prize;
- Articles commissioned, edited and/or placed by Reason Foundation are not eligible for the BPJ;
- Articles published exclusively by Reason Foundation are not eligible for the BPJ.
Complete the Online Application Form.
- Entries must comprise between one and three articles;
- Entries must not exceed 5,000 words in total;
- Articles must have been published in English;
- Articles must have been published for the first time between June 30, 2015 and July 31, 2016;
- Entries must state clearly the name of the publication where each article appeared and the date each article was published.
For more information, visit Bastiat Prize for Journalism.