Aspen Institute’s New Voices Fellowship 2017
Deadline: November 1, 2016
The Aspen Institute’s New Voices Fellowship is a year-long media skills, communication and leadership program designed for standout development professionals from the developing world. Candidates for the Fellowship are expected to have both a record of significant professional achievement and a desire to share their perspectives on global development with a broader international audience. The Fellowship is open by nomination only.
While the fellowship is non-resident and not full-time, it does require a significant and sustained time commitment as fellows write opinion articles, participate in interviews with local and international media, and speak at international conferences. Two major meetings are held during the fellowship year, where fellow will be expected to travel and take part in intensive media training. These are usually each about 5 days long. In addition, most fellows estimate spending about 5 hours per week working on fellowship-related activities, including meeting with their mentors, taking part in interviews, and writing opinion pieces.
All expenses related to the fellowship are paid, including certain media-related travel costs.
- Open to development experts, not journalists/PR professionals/communications experts;
- Fellow must be from any developing country in the world;
- There is no age limit to the nomination.
- Ask someone to nominate you. This person could be a mentor, supervisor or professor. It is important that this person knows you and your work well;
- Organizers will review your nomination. If you pass through the first round, they will be in touch with you directly, asking you to submit an application. This application involves two essays and a series of questions;
- Once the New Voices team has reviewed applications, they will ask a small group of finalists to participate in an interview via Skype or phone. From this group, the final class of Fellows will be selected.
For more information, visit New Voices Fellowship.