Terra Foundation Research Travel Grants to the United States
Deadline: January 15, 2017
Terra Foundation Research Travel Grants provide support for research on topics concerning American art and visual culture prior to 1980. These grants enable scholars outside the United States to consult resources that are only available within the United States. Grant funding is available for short-term travel that gives scholars:
- An opportunity to discover new source material;
- Experience works of art first-hand in museums and private collections;
- Make contact with artists, art dealers, archivists, curators, university scholars, etc.;
- Consult local archives and library collections;
- Establish professional networks for future research.
- Nine to thirteen grants are awarded annually (up to 5 of them are specifically dedicated to scholars from Asia, Africa, and Latin America) as follows:
- Up to $6,000 per grant for doctoral students from Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand;
- Up to $7,000 per grant for doctoral students from Asia, Africa, and Latin America;
- Up to $9,000 per grant for all postdoctoral and senior scholars.
- Grant funds will be disbursed in two installments. The first installment (80% of the total grant) is paid before the recipient’s departure to the United States. The second installment (up to 20% of the total grant) is paid to the recipient after receipt of the final report;
- Funds can be used for related transportation, lodging, meals, and research fees and expenses of the Grantee only (not of family, travel companions, etc). They cannot be used for the purchase of computers or other equipment.
- Open to doctoral students and postdoctoral and senior scholars outside the United States.
- Travel should be undertaken within one calendar year after the announcement of the selection results;
- Final report must be submitted within three months of completion of travel. It should include a description of the travel undertaken as a result of the grant, an assessment of the research accomplished, and a financial report detailing grant expenditures;
- Recipients must acknowledge the support of TFAA in any publication that results from research conducted during the grant.
Download the application form.
For more information, visit Terra Foundation Research Travel Grants.