CAS-TWAS President’s PhD Fellowship Programme 2017 (Fully Funded)
Deadline: March 31, 2017
The CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme provides students/scholars that are non-Chinese citizens an opportunity to pursue doctoral degrees at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or Institutes of CAS around China. According to an agreement between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) for the advancement of science in developing countries, up to 200 students/scholars from all over the world will be sponsored to study in China for doctoral degrees.
The funding duration of the fellowship is up to 4 years, divided into:
- Maximum 1 year study of courses and participation in centralized training at UCAS/USTC, including 4 months compulsory courses in Chinese Language and Chinese Culture;
- Practical research and completion of degree thesis at colleges and schools of UCAS/USTC or CAS institutes.
- Fellowship awardees will receive a monthly stipend (to cover accommodation and other living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of RMB 7,000 or RMB 8,000 from CAS through UCAS/USTC, depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged by UCAS/USTC for all doctoral candidates after admission.
- All awardees will also be provided tuition and application fee waivers.
- Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2017;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her fellowship;
- Not hold Chinese citizenship;
- Applicants for doctoral study should also:
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of UCAS/USTC (criteria of UCAS/criteria of USTC);
- Hold a master degree before the beginning of the fall semester: 1 September, 2017;
- Provide evidence that he/she will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China according to CAS-TWAS agreement;
- Provide proof of knowledge of English or Chinese language.
- Begin the online application here.
Prepare the following supporting documents for your application:
- Admission Application Form for International Students (Attachment 1-1 for UCAS*/ Attachment 1-2 for USTC): Download and fill in the form with 2-inch photo and your signature. Please make sure each page of the form is completed before uploading, with exception of the part to be completed by your supervisor and institute/school who should fill in the form in a second moment.
- For admission application to UCAS, you should also fill in and submit the information via the online system which would be officially launched around 15 December 2016. The admission application form generated by this system can be used as alternative form of Attachment 1-1.
- You should remind your supervisor to complete the supervisor’s comment page and upload the signed and stamped comment page to the online application system.
- You must ask two referees (NOT the host supervisor, preferably TWAS members, but not a mandatory requirement) familiar with you and your work to upload their scanned reference letters (signed, dated and on official headed paper with contact phone number and email address) to the online application system and send the original hard copies to the UCAS/USTC fellowship office. Reference letters in the body of e-mails will NOT be accepted! TWAS will not provide any information e.g. e-mail addresses of TWAS members or liaise with TWAS members on behalf of applicants.
- Other documents:
- Notarized photocopy of the certificate of university degrees held (both undergraduate and postgraduate; graduates having just completed or about to complete their degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date);
- Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese;
- Notarized photocopy of transcripts of both undergraduate and post-graduate education;
- Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience;
- Detailed research proposal;
- Photocopy of your passport which has at least 2 years validity (only pages showing personal and validity details);
- Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers;
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
- All the above supporting documentation must be in English or Chinese, otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required;
- Make sure the electronic version of supporting documentation is in the right format as requested for the online application system;
- If you are awarded the fellowship, you must present the original notarized photocopy of your university certificates AND transcripts to UCAS/USTC fellowship office upon your arrival in China, otherwise you will be disqualified;
- Your application documentation will not be returned whether awarded or not.
Where to enquire and submit application
Applicants for UCAS, please contact:
Ms. Tian Yanqiong
CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme UCAS Office (UCAS)
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
80 Zhongguancun East Road, Beijing, 100190, China
Tel: +86 10 82672900
Fax: +86 10 82672900
Email: [email protected]
Applicants for USTC, please contact:
Ms. Lin Tian (Linda Tian)
CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme USTC Office (USTC)
University of Science and Technology of China
96 Jinzhai Road, Hefei, Anhui, 230026 China
Tel: +86 551 63600279Fax: +86 551 63632579
Email: [email protected]
For more information, visit CAS-TWAS President’s PhD Fellowship.