World Press Institute Fellowships 2017 for Journalists (Fully Funded to the US)
Deadline: February 15, 2017
The WPI fellowship is offered to 10 journalists from countries around the world. It provides immersion into the governance, politics, business, media, journalistic ethics and culture of the United States for experienced international journalists, through a demanding schedule of study, travel and interviews throughout the country.
The fellows will spend three weeks in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, and then travel to several U.S. cities, including New York and Washington, D.C., for briefings, interviews and visits. They will return to Minnesota for the final week of the program. The program begins in mid-August and ends in mid-October.
- WPI pays all program costs, including transportation to the U.S. and back, all transportation within the U.S. related to the WPI program, and all lodging costs;
- In addition, a modest daily per diem for food is provided. Personal expenses, such as cameras, film, postage and clothing, are the responsibility of the fellows.
- Open to journalists around the world;
- At least five (5) years full-time employment in print, broadcast, or online journalism:
- Journalists can work for news or editorial departments of newspapers, wire services, radio, television, web sites, online publications or magazines of general public interest;
- Photojournalists, editorial cartoonists, columnists and broadcast producers are also eligible;
- Those who supervise journalists are eligible providing that they also have at least five years as a working journalist;
- Any journalism-related work completed as a university student does not count toward experience. People who work in public relations or at organizations whose primary business is not the media are not eligible.
- Must be currently employed as a non U.S. journalist working outside of the United States;
- Fluency in both written and spoken English;
- Possess potential for leadership.
During this online application process, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Applicant information;
- Employment history and education;
- Two essays are required as part of the online application. They are:
- Please describe your professional goals and achievements (in 200-500 words)
- Why are you seeking a WPI Fellowship? What do you expect to gain? What do you expect to contribute? (200-500 words)
- Color photo of yourself;
- Work samples;
- Awards, fellowships;
- Three letters of recommendation.