Maria Contreras-Sweet Award for Global Impact 2017
Deadline: January 27, 2017
The Maria Contreras-Sweet Award for Global Impact recognizes a government official or policy expert that has helped create a strong ecosystem to support diverse entrepreneurs in his/her country. The award highlights leadership that gives all entrepreneurs the power to innovate and advance social and environmental good globally. Particular emphasis will be placed on officials/experts who have disrupted established systems in order to address the entrepreneurship needs of underserved/underrepresented communities.
Overall, the award honors an official/expert that embodies a global example of how government programs can empower entrepreneurs to solve societal challenges and further a more inclusive humanity. Award will be given out at the GEN Gala + Compass Awards Ceremony during the Global Entrepreneurship Congress on March 17, 2017, in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Nominations for the Maria Contreras-Sweet Award for Global Impact must be for a government official or policy expert who launched a small business program/initiative that further strengthened an inclusive entrepreneurial ecosystem. Submissions will be evaluated on the following:
- A clear commitment to developing open, transparent, and meaningful policies so that entrepreneurs can compete on a level playing field and connect and collaborate with one another.
- An assessment of the impact of the program/initiative with regard to furthering small business ownership, access to capital and availability of counseling and support for entrepreneurs, especially in underserved/underrepresented communities.
- A demonstrated ability to overcome hardships and barriers such as lack of funding or support, cultural shifts and other setbacks.
- The program’s ability to be replicated and the overall global impact the program could have on strengthening communities if replicated across the world.
- The degree to which the officials/experts are advocates and role models for the plight of their programs and serve as the voice of especially underserved/underrepresented communities.
The Selection Committee will select nominees based on the following criteria.
- Level of innovativeness of the policy tools used in the nominee’s effort;
- Level of impact in terms of strengthening the inclusive nature of an entrepreneurial ecosystem;
- Level of impact in terms of empowering entrepreneurs as allies in solving societal challenges;
- Nominee’s effort embodies a globally-replicable example of how government programs can empower more entrepreneurs;
- Extent to which the nominee’s effort elicited or crowdsourcing solutions to societal challenges.
For more information, visit Maria Contreras-Sweet Award for Global Impact.