University of British Columbia Graduate Global Leadership Fellowship 2017
Deadline: February 28, 2017
The Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships enable promising leaders from developing countries to pursue doctoral studies at UBC. The fellowships are to support international students showing outstanding leadership in humanitarian and development work in their home country. Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships thus open the way to a world-class graduate education for emerging scholars from countries with developing educational systems.
Fellows would be supported to pursue research and study that would enhance and support contributions already made and which would be of particular use when they return home to apply their new gained skills and/or knowledge. Recipients would be individuals with an appropriate academic background and who have an established records of contribution to the development of a civil and sustainable society in their home country through professional, academic, or volunteer work. Two new fellowships will be offered each year.
- Fellowship offers $18,200 per year plus tuition for four years
- Hold a study permit at the beginning of the fellowship funding period;
- Be a citizen of a developing country (see list of developing countries) at the time of application for admission;
- Have shown outstanding leadership in humanitarian and development work in their home country;
- Be starting a PhD or DMA program at the UBC Vancouver campus in January 2017, May 2017, or September 2017;
- Be starting their first doctoral degree;
- Students with external funding (external scholarships, third-party sponsorship, etc.) are eligible to apply, but if successful, recipients will have their Graduate Global Leadership Fellowship funding reduced by the amount of their external funding.
- Students complete application form and request supporting documents (transcripts, letters of reference);
- Students submit their application package to their UBC graduate program – applications submitted directly to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will not be accepted. Students are advised to verify their graduate program’s deadline well in advance;
- A complete application package consists of:
- Completed and signed Graduate Global Leadership Fellowship application form.
- Academic records for all university-level studies (including studies undertaken but not completed) up to December 31, 2016. For institutions other than UBC, only official transcripts will be accepted. These may be original or certified true copies provided by the applicant’s graduate program. For UBC, the applicant’s “Academic History” printed from the SISC by the applicant’s graduate program will be accepted. Please note that students must request certified true copies of transcripts from their graduate program, not from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. If only unofficial admission transcripts are available, they will be accepted.
- Two letters of reference. Letters of reference provided with student’s application for admission will be accepted.
For more information, visit Graduate Global Leadership Fellowship.