Call for Proposals for the Phyllis Lambert Grant 2017
Deadline: March 16, 2017
The Phyllis Lambert Grant is now awarded every two years. The 2017 edition coincides with Montreal’s 375th anniversary celebrations, which, among other things, will highlight the creativity of designers and architects. Known worldwide as an architect, author, researcher, lecturer, curator, architecture critic, patron of heritage, engaged citizen, activist, and founder of the Canadian Centre for Architecture, Phyllis Lambert is constant in her insistence that “You must build things that express the best qualities of the society in which you live.”
The professional development project enables the recipient to explore a theme focusing on the city. It may be in the form of a work internship, participation in a design competition, workshop, symposium or any other activity relevant to the advancement of a nascent design career. The selected project must be undertaken in collaboration with one or more of the cities in the UNESCO Creative Cities Network, which includes Cities of Crafts & Folk Art, Design, Film, Gastronomy, Literature, Media Arts and Music.
- The grant is in the amount of $10,000, with an initial installment of $8,000 coinciding with the recipient announcement ceremony, and the remaining $2,000 paid upon final fulfillment of the recipient’s obligations.
The applicant must:
- be a university graduate in a design discipline (e.g., architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, graphic design, industrial design, urban design, environmental design, urban planning, experience design, interactive design);
- have fewer than 10 years’ design experience;
- have been a Canadian citizen or permanent resident for at least 12 months;
- be a resident of or have a production studio in Montreal;
- In the case of a collective, all members must meet these criteria, and a team lead must be designated to represent them.
- Letter of intent (500 words);
- Presentation of the project (1,500 to 2,000 words);
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letters of recommendation from two members of the applicant’s professional network;
- Correspondence confirming that arrangements are underway with representatives of the city (or cities) in which the project is to be completed.
- Call for applications: January 24, 2017
- Deadline for submitting an application: March 16, 2017 at 5PM
- Public announcement of the recipient: Early June 2017
For more information, visit Phyllis Lambert Grant.