GOI Peace Foundation International Essay Contest for Young People 2017
Deadline: June 15, 2017
Submit entries for the GOI Peace Foundation International Essay Contest for Young People 2017. This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world. Modern civilization has developed through controlling nature and exploiting its resources. At the same time, we human beings are part of the natural world, and nature has many things to teach us. Scientists, philosophers, poets, and artists have all found inspiration in nature. What can we learn from nature, and how can we make use of that learning for the future? Please describe your ideas, including your own observations and experiences.
This program is an activity of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). It is endorsed by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, Japanese National Commission for UNESCO, Japan Private High School Federation, Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education, Japan Broadcasting Corporation, Nikkei Inc. and supported by Felissimo Corporation and Seiko Holdings Corporation.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$880 as of Feb 2017) and gift for 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$440 as of Feb 2017) and gift for 2 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift for 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift for 25 entrants.
- 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 25, 2017 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer;
- Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable;
- All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2017. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2017.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2017) in one of the following age categories:
- Children (ages up to 14)
- Youth (ages 15 – 25);
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed;
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected;
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted;
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
For inquiries concerning the International Essay Contest for Young People, please contact email@example.com
For more information, visit GOI Peace Foundation International Essay Contest.