Matsumae International Foundation Fellowship Program 2018
Deadline: August 31, 2017
Applications are open for the Matsumae International Foundation Fellowship Program 2018. Upon the concept of the Founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a lasting World Peace”, MIF started the Research Fellowship in 1980. The fellowship offers researchers from outside Japan the opportunity to stay and carry out research projects in institutions in Japan.
Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project between 3 months to 6 months, and the commencing month and ending month between April 2018 to March 2019 (e.g. 5 months from June 2018 to October 2018). MIF plans to invite about 20 persons. Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry) in which to carry out their research. However, applicants are cautioned that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications.
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization. Its Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi Matsumae’s call. While many donations have been kindly offered by enterprises and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder’s ideals, and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes. Successful applicants are urged to seriously consider and understand the goodwill of those persons, and ensure that the provided fellowships are utilized effectively.
Fellows will receive the following:
- Stipend for research and stay;
- Air transportation (a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo) and;
- Lump sum on arrival.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents:
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications;
- Applicants must be 49 years old or under;
- Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan;
- Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present;
- Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by MIF;
- Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
- Application form can be downloaded in Word or PDF
- All of the required documents found here should be submitted on one occasion by the applicant to MIF by postal mail;
- All documents must be type-written in English. Documents written in any language other than English are not accepted;
- Submitted applications which do not contain all of the required documents will be automatically rejected.
- MIF will not be responsible for costs incurred in submitting an application, and reserves the right to request additional documents if necessary. All documents received become the property of MIF, and will not be returned. MIF will not respond to individual inquiry concerning the status/arrival of application documents