ILO Global Media Competition on Labour Migration 2017
Deadline: October 27, 2017
The International Labour Organization (ILO) is pleased to launch a global media competition to recognize exemplary media coverage on labour migration. The objective is to encourage quality reporting on labour migration. Such reporting is all the more significant as media often promotes a toxic public narrative based on nationality, national origin, gender and migratory status misperceptions, reinforcing prejudice, intolerance and stigmatization against migrant workers and their families.
While not overlooking the negative aspects (e.g. often a hard reality of exploitation and violation of human and labour rights), applicants are also encouraged to highlight the positive contribution of migrant workers to countries of origin, transit, and destination as well as the key aspects such as their fair recruitment. The 2017 Global Media Competition on Labour Migration will be contributing to the UN TOGETHER campaign which has the purpose of encouraging global action in promoting non-discrimination and addressing the problem of rising xenophobia against refugees and migrants.
- A total of four winners (one per category, per thematic area) will receive $1,000 USD each;
- Winning entries will be featured on ILO website and widely promoted as an example of good journalism.
- Professional journalists are invited to submit a maximum of two entries, one per each of the two following categories:
- Written articles (online or print articles)
- Media Production (photo journalism, audio, video)
- Articles should not exceed 8000 words and videos/multimedia should not be longer than 10 minutes. Submissions must have been published between January 1, 2016 and October 27, 2017 to qualify;
- Entries are accepted in three languages: English, French, and Spanish. Entries in other languages will be accepted provided that the applicant presents a faithful translation in one of the three languages mentioned above.
To enter the competition, please fill in the online entry form before October 27, 2017 (latest 23:59, Central European Time). Winners will be officially announced on December 18 to mark International Migrants Day. For further enquiries, please contact: l[email protected]
For more infomration, visit ILO Global Media Competition on Labour Migration.