Goethe-Institut/DAAD Egypt Science Journalism Training Program 2017 (Funded)
Deadline: August 25, 2017
The Goethe-Institut and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is cooperating to organize the project “Schreiben über Wissenschaft”. The goal of the project is to foster the relationship between the sciences on the one side and journalism on the other in order to support the transfer of knowledge to a broader public and to enhance the general response to the achievements of researchers from all disciplines.
Therefore, they would like to offer trainings in specific skills needed to cover scientific issues for journalists as well as for scientists who aim to present their projects in non-academic media. Further on the idea of the project is to strengthen scientific journalism in Egypt in general and to raise awareness for its importance.
In the realm of this project, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Goethe-Institut Cairo are organizing a three-day workshop for ten science journalists or journalists interested in writing about scientific topics. During the first two days of the workshop, the participants will learn more about the methods of science journalism as well as innovative methods in the field, about how to make science attractive to the greater public and how to interact and attract the younger generation in particular. At the same time, they will have the possibility to exchange experiences with science journalists from Germany. On the third day, the workshop will be held together ten scientists from different academic fields.
- Transportation from the Goethe-Institut in Doqqi, Cairo, to the place of the workshop and return will be organized and provided by the Goethe-Institut;
- The Goethe-Institut will also cover the costs for the full-board accommodation.
The program is open to Science journalists or journalists interested in writing about scientific topics who fulfil the following criteria:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working as a journalist;
- Currently working as a journalist;
- Regularly publishing articles (online or in journals/newspapers);
- Very good English skills;
- Strong interest in writing about scientific topics.
Applicants are to fill out this online application form completely.
For more information, visit Egypt Science Journalism Training Program.