Call for Participants: European Youth Media Days (EYMD) in Brussels (Funded)
Deadline: August 20, 2017
Apply to become one of the 90 young journalists (86 EU + 4 non-EU), who will report from the European Parliament in Brussels in the framework of European Youth Media Days (EYMD) between 16 and 18 October 2017. The European Youth Press invites applications from young journalists from across the EU Member States and neighbouring countries.
The EYMD is one of the biggest events in Europe dedicated to young journalists. This year it will take place in the European Parliament seat in Brussels. Participants will experience three days of media workshops, political discussions, hands-on media production and invaluable insights into the European Parliament and international media milieu. They will interact with high-level European politicians, professional journalists and experts and engage in intercultural exchange through practical media production.
Over the course of the three-day workshop, each young journalist will work to produce a report on the topic of the seminar through their medium of choice – print, photo, radio, video (video making and TV production), multimedia (on-line tools and data journalism), and graphic design/layouting. At the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the event, all participants will have an opportunity to win the EYMD Jubilee Award in several categories.
EYMD Jubilee Award
At the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the EYMD, the European Youth Press and the European Parliament will appreciate excellence in media production and essay writing. Therefore all participants will get the opportunity to submit media of their choice on the rise of populism, or essay on media literacy and critical thinking. Winners will receive certificate and gift items, such as books, from the European Parliament and other partners (tbc).
Want to show us your talent? Want to have your work valued by an international professional jury? If you are selected as participant of the EYMD2017, you will have an opportunity to apply for EYMD Jubilee Award by submitting your work – published or unpublished – to one or more of following categories (one piece per category):
- Print article (3,000 characters max.) on rise of populism
- Photography (5 pictures max.) on rise of populism
- Audio (3 minutes max.) on rise of populism
- Video (5 minutes max.) on rise of populism
- Essay (4,500 characters max.) on media literacy and critical thinking.
You can choose to apply for the award already on our EYMD application form.
The five winners (one in each category) will be announced during the closing ceremony of the EYMD and will be awarded with certificate and gift items.
Eligibility and deadline
Only EYMD participants are eligible to apply. Media samples that are not in English should have an English summary. Essays need to be in English only. The deadline for the EYMD Jubilee Award submission is October 2, 23:59 CET.
Cost and Benefits
- For citizens or legal residents of the EU Members States: Participants’ travel costs will be reimbursed by the European Parliament 1 to 2 weeks after the event, upon submission of all necessary documents. The European Parliament will also pay up to two per-diems of 360 Euros in total to working journalists or up to 180 Euros in total to journalism students or interns to cover accommodation, meals and local transport. The young journalists chosen to participate will have to arrange their own accommodation and travel and provide the necessary documents for reimbursement. Attention: for participants living in Brussels no lump sums or travel costs will be paid.
- For citizens or legal residents of the EU neighbouring countries: Participants’ travel costs (up to 250 Euros) will be reimbursed by the European Youth Press up to 1 month after submission of all necessary documents. The European Youth Press will also reimburse accommodation, local transportation, and meals costs in amount of up to 200 Euros in total to participants of the EYMD on receipt of the corresponding documents and EYP reimbursement form.
- Open to young journalists who are citizens or legal residents of the EU Member States and neighbouring countries
- Applicants should be EU and non-EU journalists aged between 18 and 30
- The event will be held in English, so a working level of the language is required.
- Please apply by filling in this form.
- Highlight your relevant education (journalism, media and communication) and working experience, motivation and insert two links to media samples (of any type) by August 20, 23:59 CET.
- Please don’t send any application documents via e-mail, as they cannot take them into consideration.
If you have any questions, please send an email with the subject “EYMD 2017 questions” to email@example.com.
For more information, visit European Youth Media Days.