NAGAO Natural Environment Foundation Research Grant 2017 (Up to ¥ 500,000)
Deadline: October 16, 2017
Applications are open for the NAGAO Grant Scheme. The Research Grant Programme financially supports academic and scientific research that will deepen knowledge of the nature conservation in developing countries in the Asia-Pacific region. Founded in 1989, the NAGAO Natural Environment Foundation (NEF) is a non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting nature conservation in developing countries.
Since its establishment, the Research Grant Scheme has supported researchers from research institutions mainly in the Asia-Pacific region. A total of 424 research projects in 25 countries have been awarded grants during this period (as of 30 April 2016). With the aim of strengthening the research capacity of young researchers in that region, grants are available only for individual researchers, but not for groups/teams, to enhance their skills, knowledge, and experience through their own research work.
- The maximum grant size in this programme is 500,000 Japanese yen per project for a maximum duration of two years.
An applicant must
- be a national of developing country in the Asia-Pacific region;
- The target countries in the Asia-Pacific region include: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Kiribati, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, Palau, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, and Vietnam.
- be a researcher/scientist, who works full-time or is enrolled in a doctoral course, conducting research at a research institution or relevant organisation in one of the target countries listed;
- have sufficient experience and skills in conducting and managing the proposed research;
- be able to communicate in English;
- not have another application to the NEF; and not have another on-going research or publication project funded by the NEF at the time of application submission.
A proposed research project must:
- be scientific research contributing to the nature conservation of the country where the applicant currently works or studies;
- be carried out in the country where the applicant currently works or studies;
- involve fieldwork for collecting data;
- be applicant’s own research work (team projects are ineligible.);
- achieve its objective(s) and submit reports within one to two years as scheduled; AND
- be exclusively funded by the NEF Research Grant Programme, or co-funded with the applicant’s institution.
Obligations of grant recipient
If granted, recipients should:
- be responsible for individuals and organisations/institutions to which the recipient subcontracts for various parts of the research;
- submit a progress report, with photographs taken and a detailed financial report, one year after its implementation of the approved research; and
- submit a final report, with photographs taken and a detailed financial report, upon completion of the approved research.
- Applicants are required to submit: a completed application form and a recommendation letter.
- All documents (a completed application form and a recommendation letter) should be submitted to the NEF Secretariat by e-mail (email@example.com) in MS Word or PDF or by fax (+81-3-6659-2272).
- If e-mail access or fax is unavailable, hard copies can be mailed to: NEF Secretariat
Nagao Natural Environment Foundation
3-3-7 Kotobashi, Sumida-ku
Tokyo 130-0022 Japan