MasterCard Foundation Graduate Scholarship Program at MSU 2018 (fully-funded)
Deadline: February 1, 2018
Applications are invited for the 2018 MasterCard Foundation Graduate Scholarship Program at Michigan State University. The Mastercard Foundation has partnered with Michigan State University to provide full tuition scholarships to undergraduate and Master’s degree students from sub-Saharan Africa.
Scholarship recipients are chosen from a pool of students who have demonstrated academic talent, are economically disadvantaged, and have a personal commitment to serve their countries or regions of origin. Through leadership and career training, financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support, The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at MSU ensures that Scholars are equipped with the academic and professional skills and competencies needed to make significant contributions to economic growth and social development in their respective countries of origin.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Michigan State University is built upon four cornerstones; leadership, professional development, entrepreneurship, and service.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship provides comprehensive support for the completion of a bachelor’s or master’s degree. They cover:
- Travel costs
- Visa and SEVIS fees
- Tuition and other MSU fees
- Housing, food, and living expenses
- Health insurance
Program Scholars are also provided with a laptop and backpack.
- The program is open to residents and citizens of Sub-Saharan African countries;
- Students who are already enrolled in degree programs in Africa or elsewhere are not eligible for the program;
- Students who are accepted to the program demonstrate the following qualities:
- Prior completion of a bachelor’s degree from an African University with academic achievements suggesting continued academic success as a graduate student.
- Strong commitment to a professional path in line with an area of study that can positively impact Africa.
- Demonstrated interest and capacity for serving others through engagement in volunteer activities in school, college, or community.
- Leadership potential.
- Ability to cope with change, and interest in other countries and cultures.
- Significant financial need and/or from lowest income bracket in country of origin.
- Commitment to return to serve home country or region in ways that enhance economic growth and social development.
- Doctoral students, transfer students, and students with dual citizenship in the U.S. and a sub-Saharan nation are not eligible to apply;
- Scholars pursuing online degree programs are not eligible for the scholarship.
- To apply for a MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at MSU, prospective Scholars must first apply to the desired master’s program through the program’s department. After being accepted to the program, the Scholar must be nominated for a MasterCard Foundation Scholarship by a faculty member. Only students who have been admitted to on-campus Master’s Programs are eligible for this scholarship. A list of graduate programs is available at the MSU Graduate School website;
- Complete an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS) and any other examinations (for example GRE or GMAT) which the department or program you are applying to requires. Students are strongly encouraged to take these exams no later than early-December 2017 for MSU to receive scores promptly;
- Submit All Supporting Documents to the Master’s Program;
- Complete the MCF Scholarship Application and send it to your graduate department. If submitting a hand-written scholarship application, ensure that the document is clearly legible after it has been scanned;
- Submit at least one Recommendation Form from an individual who can confidently speak to your family’s economic circumstances. Please select someone other than a family member (teacher, community member, etc.) who knows you well and can best answer the questions on the Recommendation Form. Do not submit more than two Recommendation Forms.
- February: Application, all required documents, test scores and Scholarship Application due to Department/Program. Recommender Form(s) due to
- March: Finalist Interviews
- April: Notification of scholarship status
- May: Awardee decision due date
For more information, visit MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at MSU.