Call for Application: APN Individual Research Grants Program 2018 (Up to $15,000/grantee)
Deadline: January 5, 2018
The African Peacebuilding Network (APN) of the Social Science Research Council (SSRC) invites research grant applications from African researchers, policy analysts, and practitioners working on conflict and peacebuilding issues at universities and research institutions; or regional, governmental, and nongovernmental agencies or organizations in Africa.
A core component of the APN, the Individual Research Grants program is a vehicle for enhancing the quality and visibility of independent African peacebuilding research both regionally and globally, while making peacebuilding knowledge accessible to key policymakers and research centers of excellence in Africa and around the world.
Grant recipients produce research-based knowledge that is relevant to, and has a significant impact on, peacebuilding scholarship, policy, and practice on the continent. For its part, the APN works toward inserting the evidence-based knowledge that grant recipients produce into regional and global debates and policies focusing on peacebuilding.
During the grant period, recipients are required to participate in two mandatory workshops organized by the APN. These workshops will provide opportunities to refine recipients’ research focus and methods; present findings; explore ways to make their work more accessible through publications and other means to multiple peacebuilding constituencies; and develop constructive working relationships with other grantees, senior academics, and practitioner facilitators.
- Up to fifteen (15) individual grants of a maximum of $15,000 each will be awarded.
- All applicants must be African citizens currently residing in an African country, and either an academic researcher, or a policy analyst or practitioner;
- Academic applicants must hold a faculty or research position at an African university or research institute, and have a PhD obtained no earlier than January 2007;
- Policy analyst and practitioner applicants must be based in Africa at a regional or subregional institution; a government agency; or a nongovernmental, media, or civil society organization; have at least a master’s degree obtained before January 2012; and have at least five years of proven research and work experience in peacebuilding-related activities on the continent.
- All applications must be uploaded through the online portal. If you encounter any difficulties accessing the online portal, please contact APN staff at [email protected], or by telephone at (+1) 718-517-3669.
- The following materials are required for complete application:
- Completed Application Form
- Research Proposal & Bibliography
- Current CV
- Proposed Research Timeline
- Proposed Research Budget
- Two Reference Letters
- Language Evaluation(s) (if required)
All materials must be submitted no later than 11:59pm (EST) on January 5, 2018.
For more information, visit APN Individual Research Grants.