Overseas Development Institute (ODI) Fellowship Scheme 2018-2020
Deadline: December 1, 2017
The ODI Fellowship Scheme is now open for applications. ODI’s prestigious Fellowship Scheme gives postgraduate economists and statisticians the chance to work in developing country public sectors as local civil servants on two-year contracts. The Scheme has two objectives: to provide developing country governments with high-calibre junior economists and statisticians where there are gaps in local capacity; and to give postgraduate economists and statisticians practical work experience in a developing country.
Since 1963 ODI has sent more than 1,000 economists and statisticians on two-year postings to more than 40 countries across Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and the Pacific, with many going on to successful careers in government, multilateral institutions, academia and the private sector. More than one hundred Fellows are currently in post.
The ODI Fellowship Scheme currently uses funds generously provided by the UK’s Department for International Development, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Some governments fund the entire cost of Fellowship posts themselves.
- Fellows receive a salary of £21,000 a year (increasing to £23,000 in the second year), plus housing allowance.
- Open to candidates of any nationality;
- You must have a Master’s degree or PhD in economics, econometrics, statistics or a related field. Suitable specialisms include agricultural, environmental, international, health or development economics;
- You must also be willing to commit to a two-year posting in any of the participating countries;
- Candidates should have a demonstrable interest in development; relevant work or voluntary experience in a developing country, and strong computer skills;
- Although most Fellowship posts are in English-speaking countries, French, Portuguese or Swahili language skills are an advantage for several posts.
- To apply, please complete the online application form.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in February at ODI in London, before firm or conditional offers are made to the successful candidates.
For more information, visit ODI Fellowship Scheme.