Deadline: March 31, 2018
Call for application is ongoing for the TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme 2018. The Programme provides postdoctoral researchers from sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa, with the opportunity to make a ‘Cooperation Visit’ to an institute in Germany. Such visits will have a duration of no more than three (3) months and must be undertaken within 12 months of the award.
The aim of the visit is to discuss research collaboration with German scientists with the ultimate goal of developing longer-term collaboration, perhaps through other Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, or German Research Foundation) programmes.
TWAS – The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries – works to support sustainable prosperity through research, education, policy and diplomacy. TWAS is a global science academy based in Trieste, Italy.
- DFG will cover health insurance, travel expenses and provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany. The administration and financial operation of TWAS is undertaken by UNESCO in accordance with an agreement signed by the two organizations.
- Applicants must hold a PhD and must have obtained it not earlier than 2013;
- Applicants must be nationals of a sub-Saharan African country, including South Africa, and hold a research position in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Applicants already on site in Germany are not eligible.
- Successful applicants can only reapply once for another cooperation visit.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
- All academic fields will be considered.
Applicants must complete the online application form. While filling in the online application, applicants also need to upload the following documentation:
- Scanned copy of your passport, even if expired (page with your name and surname);
- CV, maximum two pages including a list of 6 publications;
- A recent invitation letter from a German host – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – which should contain the proposed time of the visit (up to 3 months) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available. Eligible institutions in Germany are all universities, universities of applied sciences, institutes or member organizations of the Max Planck Society, Fraunhofer Society, Helmholtz Association or Leibniz Association. If in doubt, contact [email protected] or [email protected].
- Two reference letters from senior scientists familiar with your work. The letters need to be on headed paper and signed;
- Copy of the PhD certificate;
- Evidence of proficiency in either English or German;
- Supporting statement from the Head/Director of the applicant’s home institute: it must confirm that the Head/Director is favourable to the application and that the applicant will be granted leave to take up the cooperation visit in Germany if awarded.
For more information, visit TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme.