Deadline: November 24, 2017
The European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) is organizing the ninth edition of Your Europe, Your Say! (YEYS), an annual event for young people between 16 and 18. The ninth edition will take place in Brussels, 15-16 March 2018, and its topic will be European culture, in the framework of the European Year of Cultural Heritage #EuropeForCulture #EYCH2018.
Pupils from secondary schools all around the European Union (and the 5 candidate countries) are invited to Brussels in order to exchange ideas about one common topic; these ideas are then communicated to the members of the #EESC, to the European Commission and the European Parliament. The event will give the pupils the chance to find out about the EU and to understand the EESC’s role within it.
It is also a unique opportunity for young people to take part in a plenary assembly-style debate on a specific subject in a multicultural environment, putting forward arguments, negotiating and reaching a compromise. Interpreting in English and French will be provided during the plenary sessions, while the preparatory working groups will be conducted in English.
This year’s topic will be “United in diversity: a younger future for European culture”. Pupils will work together on various aspects of this subject, tackling questions such as:
- What is European culture: is it just the sum of the different national traditions or are there common values that make us all Europeans?
- What is the role of culture and cultural exchanges with other people in pupils’ lives?
- What can the European Union do to promote culture (cinema, music, dance, literature, theatre, etc.) and better protect cultural heritage sites?
- What role could culture play in the economic rebirth of Europe’s regions and cities? How can this rebirth give new opportunities to young people in terms of new jobs?
- What can the EU and Member States do to facilitate this process?
At the end of the event, the young participants will have an opportunity to present their recommendations to EESC members and to vote for the three they judge to be the most relevant and interesting. In the run up to the visit to Brussels, EESC members will visit the selected schools to prepare the youngsters for the debates in Brussels. Documentation and supporting material will be sent to the selected schools.
The EESC will cover travel and accommodation expenses for three pupils and one teacher from each of the winning schools, to be selected by lot.
- Open to young people between 16 and 18 in secondary schools all around the European Union
- Schools can send their application through an online form at www.eesc.europa.eu/yeys2018. Deadline for applications is 24 November 2017.
- Don’t hesitate to try our Quiz to test your knowledge about Europe and participate to the Instagram Contest and win !
For more information, visit Your Europe, Your Say! 2018.