Muhammad Ali Center “Shining a Light” International Photo Contest 2018
Deadline: December 15, 2017
The Muhammad Ali Center announces the 2018 “Shining a Light” International Photo Contest. The goal of this year’s competition is to showcase the “Experiences of Refugee Women.” The contest host will produce a documentary-style exhibition from 20 to 30 finalist photographs that will be exhibited at the Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville, Kentucky beginning March 8, 2018.
Leveraging its existing capacity to increase awareness around issues of human rights and social justice on local, national, and international stages, in 2013, the Muhammad Ali Center created “Shining a Light,” an international photography contest focused on gender equality. “Shining a Light” is an annual program and exhibition on display each March in conjunction with International Women’s Day.
The Contest theme for 2018 is “Shining a Light: Experiences of Refugee Women.” Informed by the UNHCR and the Women’s Refugee Commission, the photographic submissions are asked to depict one or more of the following issues as they pertain to Refugee Women’s lived experiences:
- Gender-Based Violence
- Rights and Justice
- Sexual and Reproductive Health
- 1st Prize—$1000
- 2nd Prize—$750
- 3rd Prize—$500
- All photographers are welcome, both amateur and professional;
- Photographers under the age of 18 are required to submit Parental Consent Form with their submission;
- Participants warrant that their photographs:
- are original
- are not more than three years old
- have never been published in print or on the web
- do not infringe on any third party’s rights
- have obtained any and all necessary permissions from any third party that appears in the photograph.
Terms and Conditions
- You agree to your picture(s) and name being displayed by the Muhammad Ali Center, published and/or used on websites/webpages owned by the Muhammad Ali Center and Generation Ali for an indefinite period of time;
- You agree to your picture(s) and name being displayed at other venues for an indefinite period of time;
- Participants retain ownership and all other rights to future use of their photographs, notwithstanding the rights granted above to the Muhammad Ali Center and other exhibition venues;
- The Muhammad Ali Center has the right to verify, in its sole judgment and discretion, winner eligibility;
- The Muhammad Ali Center has the right to select all winners in this contest.
- To apply, complete the application form. Submission Deadline: Friday, December 15, 2017 5:00 PM (EST)
For more information, visit Ali Center “Shining a Light” International Photo Contest.