Deadline: January 8, 2018
The Commonwealth Scholarship Program for South Australia offers support for a minimum of 1200 undergraduate, postgraduate and vocational education and training students to undertake study, training and internships in South Australia. It aims to improve skills and employment opportunities linked to priority industries in South Australia. It also creates opportunities for workers in industries experiencing structural adjustment and retrenchment.
The program delivers on the Australian Government’s 2016 election commitment to provide up to $24 million over four years for a minimum of 1200 scholarships for undergraduate, postgraduate and vocational education and training students to undertake study, training and internships in South Australia. The Commonwealth Scholarships Program for South Australia will be administered through two rounds of applications which will open in the second half of 2017.
- The scholarship includes a paid internship component equivalent to 20 business days.
- Internships provide scholars with opportunities to gain experience in an industry placement in a priority industry relevant to their study or training, gain skills on the job, and learn about and contribute to the business they are placed in.
- Internships will be in addition to the approved program of study. Scope Global (the support contractor for this program) will secure internships for each scholar.
Scholarships are available for students studying from Certificate III to PhD levels in an area that will lead to employment in one of three streams:
- Stream 1 – defence industry (including naval shipbuilding)
- Stream 2 – advanced manufacturing, health services and medical research, tourism and hospitality, wine and food, and energy and resources. Applications will also be accepted from students who intend to study in a field that is relevant to, and are currently employed by, a business with innovative practices that result in economic growth
- Stream 3 – South Australian state-based skills needs. Any occupation listed on pages 2 and 3 on the Australian Government Department of Employment’s Skills Shortage List for South Australia will be eligible for a scholarship.
Scholarship funding of up to $17,500 is available for each student. This amount will vary based on scholarship length and whether studies are part time or full time.
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- be eligible to undertake an approved program of study*
- be aged 15-64 years at commencement of study
- be a new student or in the first year of your study program
- be living in, or able to relocate to, South Australia for the duration of the scholarship
- be willing and able to participate in an internship (where applicable)
- intend to enter the workforce or accept employment in South Australia at the end of your course of study or training.
To apply, visit the online application portal.
For more information, visit Commonwealth Scholarship for South Australia.