Apply: Matasa Fellows Network for Young African Researchers 2017 (Fully funded to the UK + £3,000)
Deadline: December 7, 2018
The Matasa Fellows Network, a joint initiative of the The Mastercard Foundation and Institute of Development Studies. is accepting applications for its 2017 Fellowship. Launched in 2015, the Matasa Fellows network seeks to develop a cohort of young African researchers with the skills and commitment to engage in policy-oriented research around the challenges of young people and employment in Africa. Its aim is to contribute to the development of outstanding young researchers who will ultimately become established policy researchers in their chosen fields.
The Matasa Fellows Network will award eight new fellowships in 2017. Each successful applicant will receive academic support and a small bursary to produce a high quality synthesis paper and a policy brief relating to the broad theme of Youth Employment and Private Sector Growth in Africa. Under this theme, research contributions will critically explore a selection from the following themes:
- Private sector growth
- Education and training
- Digital technologies
- Family and gender relations
- Infrastructure, energy and engineering sectors growth
- Young people as citizens and/or young people in policy processes
- Conflict affected settings
- Migration and/or stretched livelihoods
- Financial inclusion
- Imagined futures
A bursary of £3,000 will be provided to each selected fellow, and all costs to participate in two workshops (one in the UK and one in Africa) will be covered.
The Matasa Fellows Network is open to African nationals – they need to fulfil the following criteria:
- 40 years old or younger at the time of application
- Completed a PhD within last two years or are in the final stages of completing a PhD
- Background in social science, economics, agricultural economics, policy studies, development studies, agricultural or environmental sciences
- Fluency in English
- Able to travel to the UK in February 2018 for a one-week workshop.
Candidates must submit their full application through the online system as per the guidelines provided. If you have any questions or queries, please contact us on [email protected]
For more information, visit Matasa Fellows Network Fellowship.