Deadline: February 2, 2018
Applications for the L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program are open. The program awards five women postdoctoral scientists annually with grants of $60,000 each for their contributions in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields and commitment to serving as role models for younger generations. Each year, the program attracts talented applicants from diverse STEM fields, representing some of the nation’s leading academic institutions and laboratories.
The program is the U.S. component of the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Fellowships program. Celebrating its fourteenth year in the U.S., the For Women in Science program has awarded 70 postdoctoral women scientists over $3.5 million in grants. L’Oréal USA partners with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) to manage the program’s application and peer-review process.
The fellowship is open to post-docs from the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- Must have a conferred PhD and have started in a postdoctoral research position by February 2, 2018
- Must maintain the status of postdoctoral researcher throughout the fellowship year
- Must be American born, naturalized citizen or permanent resident
- Must be affiliated with a U.S. based academic or research institution
- Must plan to conduct their postdoctoral studies and research in the U.S.
- Must be involved in basic research in the life and physical/material sciences, engineering & technology, computer science and mathematics
- Cannot be in a faculty position
- Must commit to at least twenty hours of activity in support of women and girls in science (e.g. mentoring, classroom visits, media, events)
- Must be available the week of October 22, 2018 for the For Women in Science Awards Week
Candidates are Evaluated for Overall Excellence with a Focus On:
- Intellectual merit, academic records, and accepted requisites for scholarly scientific study
- Scientific excellence and appropriateness of proposed research
- Evidence of originality, initiative and productivity
- Ability to plan and conduct research either as a member of a team or independently
- Potential for career enhancement if awarded the fellowship
- Relevance of budget proposal ($60,000 in L’Oréal USA fellowship funding)
- Choice of host institution and department mentor
- Commitment to supporting women and girls in science
Please note that candidates must be available during the week of October 30, 2017 for the For Women in Science Awards Week if chosen as a winning Fellow.
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts are required
- A completed application requires three letters of recommendation.
- The first letter must be from a mentor or former advisor.
- The second letter must be from your post-doctoral advisor.
- The third letter may be from someone of your choice.
Letters of recommendation can either be submitted electronically through the online application submission site or can be mailed directly from all references to:
L’Oréal USA For Women In Science
Attn: Janaya Thompson/Education and Human Resources
1200 New York Avenue, NW, 6th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20005
Complete the online application.
For more information, visit L’Oréal USA Fellowship Program.